Saturday, January 03, 2015

Racist Hadith? Maybe not entirely . . .

Racist Hadith?
MEMRI Report #4686
Saudi Fighter in Syria Glorifies Martyrdom
Even Black Men Get into Paradise
The Internet
December 12, 2014

The following Hadith perhaps isn't racist despite sounding as if it might be:
"A black man came to see the Prophet Muhammad in one of his raids, and asked him: 'What will I get if I fight those people with you?' The Prophet Muhammad said to him: 'You will go to Paradise.' The man said 'Oh Prophet of Allah, I am black, I smell bad, and I have no money. If I am killed, will I still go to Paradise?' The Prophet Muhammad said: 'Yes. I swear by Allah.' Then the man said: 'Allah will surely witness what I will do.'
Watch the entire video here, and judge for yourself. There seems to be some presupposition that blackness raises a barrier against entry into paradise. Islam's prophet assures the black man that martyrdom overcomes the disadvantages of color, smell, and poverty.

Interpretation of this Hadith could go one way or the other, depending upon who holds the presupposition that blackness is a barrier.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 8:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I am black. I smell bad."

Oh, my.

At the very least, the hadith implies that racism against Black Africans was prevalent among inhabitants of the Arabian peninsula. The use of the word "black" as a (negative) racial classifier did not appear in English-language texts until the mid-1600s when race-based slavery became codified in US colonial laws. Africans became Negroes and the English became Christians. The myth that the Middle East slave trade was not harsh seems to be embraced by Muslims around the world.

Sonagi

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I agree.

Jeffery Hodges

@ @ @

 

Post a Comment

<< Home