Saturday, May 04, 2013

A Visit from Kevin Kim . . .


Kevin 'Sigh' Kim
The Big Hominid

We had the Big Hominid for dinner yesterday evening, but you see from the postprandial photo that most of him still remains intact. My wife took the photograph, and when I first glanced at it still only on camera, I thought that he'd struck a Psy-like pose, but the larger version belies that . . . sigh . . .

I would describe the evening, but Kevin has beaten me to it in a long, detailed rendition surpassing any summary that I might offer, so go there to read this (and more):
Today, Friday, at 5 p.m., I found myself exiting a cab and lumbering over to the apartment building of my friend Dr. Horace Jeffery Hodges, who runs the Gypsy Scholar blog and teaches at Ehwa University, the top women's university in Korea. You might think that teaching at Ehwa -- where a man is surrounded by beautiful young ladies all day long -- would be a horndog's dream come true, but Jeff is a happily married man with a lovely wife and two great kids. He told me that some grad students occasionally ask him for relationship advice, and that he doesn't know whether to be flattered or insulted by such female attention.

When I reached the first floor of the apartment building, Jeff was already coming down the stairs. His timing was telepathically uncanny, cementing my impression that he is truly a master of the dark side of the Force . . .
I'll need to be more careful about inadvertently revealing my powers. But Kevin was not frightened away, showing himself made of stuff stern enough to deal with dark powers and even darker conversation:
Dinner conversation en famille ranged from the morbid to the literary, then back to the morbid again. A great deal of time was spent discussing cannibalism, but we also briefly touched on thought-systems and traditions like Taoism, Transcendentalism, Buddhism, and Christianity. Talk was mostly in English, but was peppered with bits of Korean. I did an Indian accent, much to the amusement of the kids, but never got the chance to demonstrate my faux-Glaswegian Scottish accent.
I should admit that even though my doctorate was explicitly on a religious theme, Kevin is far more knowledgeable than I on religion -- though most folks would have to get up pretty early in the morning to beat me:
Jeff, because he is clinically insane, normally wakes up around 3 a.m., so I knew it was time to excuse myself when nine o'clock rolled around . . .
Clinically insane? I protest! I've never allowed myself to be clinically tested, so there's no proof of the charge! True, I did wake up at three this morning . . . But I merely glanced at my clock and remained in bed! Too bone-weary from staying up to the ungodly hour of nine last night, I guess. Kevin's fault! But proof I'm not entirely insane . . .

Go to Kevin's blog for an entire reprise of the evening's events.

Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

At 10:05 AM, Blogger Kevin Kim said...

Truly a night to remember. Thanks again for the hospitality, Jeff.

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

The hospitality was all due to my wife . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger ilTassista Marino said...

thanks to both for this amusing report :-) it was like being there

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

What struck me was how much richer than mine is Kevin's experience of things. He's a man with a powerful sense of details that I totally miss.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger ilTassista Marino said...

you need a detailor . . .

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger Kevin Kim said...

"Kevin is far more knowledgeable than I on religion..."

Oh, I seriously doubt that. As I recall, you schooled me on some aspects of Protestant baptismal theology and praxis.

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Just what I need, Dario, no clothes . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I'm a praxising Baptist, so I should know!

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger ilTassista Marino said...

Bapt-Man!

 
At 1:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You own apartment buildings Jeff?!!

JK

 
At 5:32 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Always the Joker, Dario.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 5:37 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Kevin knew of only one building, JK, but you have seen the truth, that I own many buildings, all of them fine apartments of the mind . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 5:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeffery:

I reject the comment by Kevin Kim that you are clinically insane.

I find that you do almost everything in moderation.

He should remove the word "clinically" and replace it with the word "moderately."

Cran

 
At 6:15 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Uncle Cran, I am immoderate only in my moderation.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home