Tuesday, October 13, 2020

The Right to Insult!

I had meant for the poem below, previously seen on this, my blog, to appear with my other poems as the second of International Incidents (the first being "I. Attend," a poem dedicated to my friend, Eric Walsh, the Canadian ambassador to Korea), but I must have sent it too late.

I recall looking for it in my poetry folders, and I did finally locate it somehow, and I did send it along, but it must not have reached the editors' eyes early enough.

Anyway, I wrote this poem in hopes of getting an unnamed, but major politician's interest and getting him to insult me in return:

II. Insultry Limerick

There once was a man called Sir Trumpet
who thought ev'ry girl was a strumpet.
He was starting to dodder,
for he took his own daughter
for a hoe in his garden, dadgummit!

As you see, my insultry limerick could have gotten my poems lots of attention, but such was not to be.

I remain The Great Unknown . . .

3 Comments:

At 3:04 AM, Blogger Carter Kaplan said...

"There is a concatenation of events in this best of all possible worlds: for if you had not been kicked out of a magnificent castle for love of Miss Cunegonde: if you had not been put into the Inquisition: if you had not walked over America: if you had not stabbed the Baron: if you had not lost all your sheep from the fine country of El Dorado: you would not be here eating preserved citrons and pistachio-nuts."

"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us hoe our garden."

 
At 7:13 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Perhaps a noisier chain of events would get the attention of the deus ex machina, and I could then pay somebody else to cultivate my garden for me.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 7:16 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

PS Nice use of hoe.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home