Wednesday, January 06, 2021

Attitude is the most effective ingredient.

My wife gave me a small packet of what we used to call cough drops. These are menthol, and they self-identify as a cough suppressant slash oral anesthetic. That slash worries me a little. I'd rather not rely too heavily on medicine that employs a slash. Where there's a slash, there's a slasher! Probably slashing away at a microbiological level, doing as much damage as good.

In addition to its medicinal effect, each one of these drops contains a pep talk, actually, several pep talks per drop. Here in alphabetical order are one-liner pep talks that I noticed and collected from a number of individual wrappings as I unwrapped several drops:

Be unstoppable.
Conquer today.
Don't wait to get started.
Dust off and get up.
Elicit a few "wows" today.
Get back in the game.
Get through it.
Go for it.
Go get it!
Hi-five yourself.
Inspire envy.
It's yours for the taking.
Keep your chin up.
Push on!
Put your game face on.
Seize the day.
You can do it and you know it.

Who is being addressed by these  so-called "pep talks"? Adolescents? Teenagers?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home