Monday, August 06, 2018

Bernard Lewis and John Milton


Bernard Lewis liked to quote Milton's Sonnet 19:
"that one talent which is death to hide . . . lodged with me useless."
Milton is probably alluding to his poetic talent, but I've not looked into this. Lewis seems to have quoted Milton to motivate students who lacked confidence in their talents. According to Katherine Nouri Hughes:
Bernard did me the favor and honor of taking . . . seriously [my amateur interest in the Orient]. "Being an amateur -- even a dilettante," he said, "was respectable. What possible fault is there in loving and delighting in what you engage in? There is something, however, that you must beware of." He specified by citing Milton: "that one talent which is death to hide . . . lodged with me useless." It was something he repeated many times in the seasons that followed.
Lewis to Milton -- the greats are drawn to the greats . . .

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home