Sunday, December 13, 2015

Good Show Sir: Only the worst Sci-fi/Fantasy book covers


My friend Terrance Lindall reveals:
Just re-acquired my cover art for the very first cyberpunk novel by John Ford 1980! Voted one of the worst sci-fi covers ever!
A website dedicated to the 'worst' sci-fi book cover art produced in this part of the art galaxy is linked to by Lindall himself to provide an exemplar for the pride he takes in this work of art:
Yes, it is the worst SF fantasy cover ever done! Simon and Schuster stopped commissioning me after that. I was getting tired of doing work for the publishers and was moving on to building a museum in upstate New York (the Greenwood Museum – look on Wikipedia)

Actually I love everybody's comments. I now have to my credit some of the best and worst ever done in the 20th century! Sometimes art is so bad it's good, and if it's incredibly bad, it's great . . . I can live with that!
The image above was posted by a certain "Scott B," who attempted to put into words what Lindall had painted:
Scot B's Art Direction: OK, I see a redheaded woman wearing overalls, but still half-naked, being gnawed on by ghost wolves while a dragon explodes from her crotch. The dragon's chasing a guy with a flaming orange on his jumpsuit. And a purple polka-dotted gnome fortune-teller! It's a masterpiece I tell you! What's that, you say the name of the book is what? Well, just throw a spiderweb around everything, that'll work. Published 1980
I also posted a comment, but I'm leaving that in its context . . .

Labels:

11 Comments:

At 3:25 PM, Blogger Bienvenido Bones said...

Well we know Master Terrance Lindall this is a real visionary artists and the world authority of 666 Art World Paradise Lost! That's how Satan gave color to the world!

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Yes, even Lindall's worst is the best!

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 1:56 PM, Anonymous bienvenido Bones banez jr said...

It's part of the Paradise Lost by the Beautiful, Ugliness, and the whole world-color and the sublime! That's awesome feelings of the vision from the Master John Milton!

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Bien, maybe you could develop a series titled Parodies Lust! It'd be great!

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger Bienvenido Bones said...

Thanks, very interesting!

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

At your service!

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 7:38 AM, Blogger Bienvenido Bones said...

Wow! Service's the world of Sodom and Gomorrah! it's Satanic Delightfulness, but our humankind the lovers of lust! That's how we procreation the world of the Paradise Lost!

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Parodies Lust, I say. It's already begun.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Bienvenido Bones said...

Thanks! good suggestion...

Bones

 
At 2:34 AM, Blogger Terrance Lindall said...

"Parodies Lust!" Great!

Before Bob Wickenheiser died I suggested illustrating "Pair of Mice Lost." He did not seem much interested.

Bob called me Nov. 7th a few weeks before he died. Bien was with me. He congratulated Bien and myself for all the great things we were doing. We were on Facetime, so we could see each other. He looked very tired. I think he knew he was soon to die and he wanted to talk to me once more. I will be doing something about him on ISSUU Magazine soon.

I contacted Pat, Bob's wife, about Bob's last project, the George Herbert collection (world's greatest). I am hoping it remains together an finds a good home.

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thank you, Terrance, for the note. Professor Wickenheiser was a good, kind, generous man and - in some ways - an inspiration for your greatest work. I recall reading an interview of yours some ten years or more back in which you said you wouldn't be making any more art, but your best art was still ahead of you, and partly because of him.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home