Saturday, June 13, 2015

Catch-22: Not the Novel, but Something Far Worse . . . Reality


I had an interesting exchange with a company that I'll call "Permission Impossible" - the exchange began as follows:
Dear Permission Impossible:

I have not used your services since 2012. I have forgotten my password and the answers to the two security questions. As a result, I cannot reset my password. What can I do?
Permission Impossible responded with alacrity:
Dear H. Jeffery Hodges,

Thank you for contacting Customer Support. I am happy to assist you with your account. I understand from your email that you have forgotten your password and security question answers. Please contact us via phone for us to further assist you. To contact us by phone:
Log in to your account.
That sort of advice doesn't pass the Turing Test, but I replied with utmost courtesy:
Logging in is the problem. I can't log in because I've forgotten my password and my security question answers.
I've not yet heard back from the friendly Catch-22 folks who work in the Customer Support Department of Permission Impossible. They probably think I'm some sort of smart-assed dumbass.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 12:26 PM, Blogger Carter Kaplan said...

I suspect Mr. Em is behind it.

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Roy Lofquist said...

Dear Jeffrey,

I enlisted in the Army shortly before Catch 22 was published in 1961. It was wildly popular with my fellow soldiers, both recruits and combat veterans of WWII and Korea. Less than popular officers and NCOs acquired a whole new set of nicknames.

Regards,

Roy

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Carter, Mr. Em is behind everything.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

My high school math teacher enlisted about the time you did - and had clear recall of the details of Catch 22 when I worked for him as a chainman in 1976.

I'll see him this summer and ask if he still recalls it clearly.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home