Friday, June 12, 2015

Another poetic allusion in David Mitchell's Bone Clocks

Rare Iceland Forest
Google Images

Here's another literary allusion that Mitchell works into his own literary work:
HALFWAY ALONG OUR JOURNEY to life's end I found myself astray in a dark wood. This fork in the path, these slender birches, that mossy boulder tilted upwards, like a troll's head . . .
Most readers will recognize the allusion, so I won't insult anybody's intelligence by spelling it out, because - "Damn anything new to everyone!" - you ought to know already . . .

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 12:40 PM, Blogger Carter Kaplan said...


Imagine Barbara Cartland beginning one of her romances with "Sing heavenly muse..."

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I . . . just . . . can't . . . wrap . . . my . . . mind . . . around . . . it . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home