Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Graphic Artist Ganzeer

Not Yours to Touch
June 2014
Ganzeer

I learned of this artist of the Egyptian Revolution through Barbara Pollack's article "Hieroglyphics That Won't Be Silenced" (NYT, July 10, 2014), so I Googled his pseudonym, "Ganzeer" (i.e., "bicycle chain") and found his website with this message above, "not yours to touch no matter how naked I am," a warning to the gropers among the men of Egypt, along with their supporters, concerning which, he says:
There's a sad misconception among many men (and even some women unfortunately) that if a girl dresses revealingly then she's fair game, and there for anyone to touch or worse. This here poster, featuring artist/model Maya Desnuda, is my attempt at tackling the subject matter.
Apparently, he has encountered displeasure among Egypt's new military leaders, who have accused him of being in league with the recently deposed Muslim Brotherhood, whereas he's actually a liberal secularist, so far as I can tell.

See what you think.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 8:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeff - Your blog site seems to be a bit scrambled. I see this current post but the next one is from prior months and as I scroll down the subsequent posts are from all different dates. I also tried to link to the site for this artist and it just brought me back to the post.

Thanks,
Jay

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Odd, everything's fine over here.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 4:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very odd..All seems fine now

 
At 4:47 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Around the time you encountered it scrambled, I was doing a search on my blog for entries about moonshine, so perhaps my blog was drunk . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home