Sunday, February 19, 2012

Jeju Island - Day Three (Yesterday, 2/18/2012): Semi-Arctic Paradise

The third day on Korea's semi-arctic paradise of Jeju Island began around seven in the morning with a wintery blast:


That was the scene from the balcony outside our door at Waedolgae Nara (외돌개 나라), which means Waedolgae Country, but the word "Waedolgae" is not clear. There's a rock in the sea nearby with the same name, and we can pretend it means "Outer-Rock-Dog" since the individual syllables can also carry these meanings in Korean.


Speaking of doorways, here's one above at the Kim Young-Gap Gallery, which houses the photographs of the late Kim Young-Gap, born the same year as I was, 1957, but already passed on, in 2005.


This shows the photographer himself, Kim Young-Gap, in a double exposure, from a time when he was still healthy. If you look carefully, you'll see my wife's reflection, for she's the photographer in our family.


Kim Young-Gap made hundreds, maybe thousands of photos depicting landscapes such as this one on Jeju Island, making the landscapes and himself well known.


My wife caught me in a pensive mood, perhaps reflecting on the progressive condition that disabled Kim Young-Gap and eventually brought about his death.


Sa-Rah and En-Uk sculpt an Ice Queen outside the gallery on a day of unsettled, wintery weather.


Finished and seen from above, the Ice Queen reigns over her icy domain of Jeju Island!


En-Uk and I await our meal in a restaurant that served neither soft drinks nor beer but excellent fish in sauce.


Afterwards, En-Uk races along a wintery beach as wind whips the snow across the scene.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 8:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Jeffery, I am impressed with your kids' design choice, reflecting both classical art awareness and liberal tolerance of nudity

Sonagi

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Yeah, well, I did a Taliban and kicked that idol over when I saw it!

Or I think I did . . . but maybe I dreamt that.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger koreanwedding said...

Great article about Jeju Island. I really like your blog very much and also share this article with my friends.and keep it up

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Korean Wedding. You have no interest in my blog. Your comment is merely parasitical on this entry. I could easily delete your comment, but I'll leave it for readers to laugh at.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home