Thursday, June 23, 2011

Vulgar Visitor . . .

Gypsy Scholar: A Korean?

Somebody anonymous searching the internet for the online publishing phenomenon Amanda Hocking came across my blog yesterday, specifically, this entry: "Shocking Hocking: A Young Adult Story." Something about that particular post on Ms. Hocking's abrupt, stunning success as a writer set him off:
"You f**king Korean pr**ks. You mothers expect your KIDS to pay for your old age. YOU ENSLAVE YOUR F**KING KIDS! You should pay for your own old age. Do the right thing and don't take handouts."
As I rather dryly noted in response:
Someone imagines that I'm Korean . . . . I trust that readers can see why I deleted this 'comment' (and God only knows why it was posted to this blog entry).
The asterisks, of course, are my obscuring substitutes for the original, more 'obscene' letters. At first, I wondered why -- in the name of all that's holy and decent -- this vulgar fellow had reacted with such vicious, vulgar abuse, and why he had assumed that I was a Korean mother, but when I looked over my post again, I figured out what had triggered his wild overreaction, namely, the part where I comment about the fixation upon fan fiction that Amanda Hockings had during her teenage years, a portion of the New York Times article that Sa-Rah and I were reading aloud. As I noted:
My daughter stopped, blinked, and smiled. She also writes fan fiction . . . about the singers in the K-pop group Girls' Generation. I don't know if that sort of pop music writing would lead to popular writing, particularly since she writes her 'fan-fic' in Korean. If she's going to make millions for my old age, she'll need to write in English.
That's what the irascible fellow was overreacting to. He immediately typed an irate comment, without even bothering to check and see to whom he was directing his words, else he wouldn't have called me a "mother" (unless he meant something worse!), nor would he have called me a "Korean" (unless he considers that a general term of abuse!).

But he perhaps soon realized his mistake, for assuming that I found his footprints (location and IP address duly noted, sirrah) via my site meter, this fellow briefly checked my profile and surely discovered, from my name and biographical details, that I'm not Korean, after which he seems to have gotten the hell away from my blog, possibly a bit embarrassed.

I do wonder, however, if he dimly understands the seriousness of his irony-challenged condition.

Labels: ,

17 Comments:

At 6:44 AM, Blogger ilTassista Marino said...

That fool! You obviously are a tall, young juggler, dressed as some Renaissance saint.

 
At 7:31 AM, Blogger Stephen B said...

Very interesting article. For more info about Medieval History, feel free to browse our 122 informational site at Medieval History.

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Right Dario, and there's another fool calling himself "Stephen B" who imagines that this post today was about Medieval History.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

'Stephen B', your comment is a foolish attempt at self-advertisement on a blog entry that has nothing to do with Medieval History.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gee Jeff, I hope my mis-spelling the name of that ship didn't contribute - or mentioning "The City of Sisterly Love."

JK

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger ilTassista Marino said...

Maybe Stephen B was miguided by your being Middle Aged? :-D

Why don't you simply delete his ass-ertion?

 
At 2:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dario!!!

I don't know what sort of credentials you have but Jeff is certainly not "middle aged."

He just started making kids earlier than most - he is after all both from Arkansas and a hillbilly.

Why... Why ... Why asserting Jeff could possibly be anywhere near middle aged would imply both me and poor, poor, poor (but not in the fiscal sense - well... except for me) both Cran and I...

Oh I declare, Cran - turn off "Dancing with the Stars" - JK needs help !!!

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger ilTassista Marino said...

Jeff is as much middle aged as this post was about Middle Ages

:-D

Anyway, during the Middle Ages, Dante thought himself to be middle-aged when he was 35.

Hey... did I say, Dante?! So, Asstephen B was right, after all!

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger Kevin Kim said...

There may be an even better example of self-publishing success than Amanda Hocking. Meet John Locke.

I found this part of the above-linked article significant:

******

Another self-published e-book sensation, Amanda Hocking, signed a six-figure deal earlier this year with a publisher.

But Locke claims he wants to remain independent.

"It just wouldn't be fun for me'" Locke said. "I like the idea of being able to walk away from writing if it stops being fun."


******

Locke makes sense. Preserving one's autonomy as a writer is important, and the evolution of self-publishing technology is making such preservation ever more plausible.

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

JK, I doubt that the ship is what hit the 'fan' who was so irate . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Dario, I'll keep S.B.'s comment because I find his misplaced 'comment' so amusing in its blatant grab for attention.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

JK and Dario, you are both free to endow me with as much youth as can be afforded.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 6:26 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, Kevin. I'll take a look.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger ilTassista Marino said...

JK and Dario, you are both free to endow me with as much youth as can be afforded.

Well, Dante actually died at 56, so in his true middle age he was 28. Final offer.


P.S. looking forward to a comment by the John Locke Foudation.

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Only 56? Uh-oh . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger ilTassista Marino said...

Oh, no, it was meant: you'll live twice your current age, but you are entitled to describe yourself as a 28er.

A "cutting-age" behavior that... er... would make you seem like a woman, thus rehabilitating the Vulgar Visitor
:-D

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

As long as I keep my health . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home