Thursday, June 02, 2011

Beer Competition: "Brew Your Hops Off"

Adam Matthews
Winner of Stout Category
Brew Your Hops Off Competition
Photography by Dylan Goldby
(Image from Korea Herald)

Change is brewing on the Korean beer scene, and even expats are playing a role! Just yesterday, I read in the Korea Herald of a great event that took place on my birthday, the Brew Your Hops Off Competition that brought together 62 homebrewed-by-expat beers for judging by three judges -- Rob Titley, Josh Hall, and Joe McPherson -- and NOBODY told me in advance even though Joe and I are acquainted!

I had to learn of this even from Korea Herald reporter Paul Kerry more than two weeks after the fact in an article appropriately titled "Don't get bitter -- get brewing" (June 1, 2011):
The most recent was the Brew Your Hops Off competition on May 14. Homebrewers from as far away as Jeju and Geoje Island came to submit entries in three categories, and beer fans got to try some brews and enjoy a free bar at the Oktoberfest microbrewery pub in Gangnam, Seoul.

Brewers also brought beers that weren't entered in the competition to get feedback. They swapped opinions on how brews could be improved and tips on Heath Robinson substitutes for equipment.
Rube Goldberg can be used if Heath Robinson is unavailable.
"Everybody shares their beer and of course everybody is welcome to share their criticism, because that's how you get better," explains Titley.

One brewer met someone who had processed malt for him for the first time, having arranged to send and receive the ingredients on the website.

Sixty-two beers were entered, and Titley says he and the other judges -- food writer Joe McPherson and wine consultant Josh Hall -- were somewhat overwhelmed.
Overwhelmed by a tsunami of homebrewed beer! Titley speaks as if that's somehow a 'bad' thing. But perhaps he meant that they needed more drinkers. Hell, I'd have sacrificed my time! Even on my birthday.

Speaking of self-sacrifice, I intend to devote some of my time to drinking at a beer or two at the Craftworks Taphouse this coming Friday, June 3 (2011), beginning around 4:00 p.m., where I'll eventually be joined by some of the expats who usually hang out at the Marmot's Hole but are likewise willing to devote some of their own precious time for an evening at the Craftworks watering hole.

For those who don't know about the Craftworks Taphouse, you can read my review here, though I understand that another brew has been added since the time of my writing . . .

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 3:48 AM, Blogger Hathor said...

I'm stuck at a nursing, rehab home, wanting my first Sunday home, a brunch at a local brewery. Obsessing over an omelet and Bloody Mary Now I want their ale.

 
At 5:07 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I'm sorry to hear that you're not well, but I hope that you get to enjoy that drink.

I'll raise a glass to you tomorrow.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home