Thursday, March 09, 2006

New horizons...

Here in Korea, the new academic year has begun.

New beginnings ever turn my mind to their inevitable end. I guess that I'm just morbid ... but this time, I have sounder reasons for already allowing my thoughts to dwell upon this academic year's end.

Korea University apparently has a policy, formulated in a rule, stating that a foreign professor can renew a teaching contract no more than three times.

This being my third time, I guess that I'd better start looking for a new position.

I'd prefer to stay here at Korea University because the students are generally good, and the faculty includes some excellent scholars. Moreover, the university organizes a number of very interesting extracurricular programs every year, such as last year's Nobel Laureate Lecture Series. Long-time readers will recall that I attended every single lecture in that series and posted enthusiastic reports here.

But all good things must end, and the Gypsy begins to gaze toward new horizons...

6 Comments:

At 5:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What strange times of change we're in.

Good luck on whichever path you choose.

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks. I feel myself changing into some sort of otherworldly beast, so my path may lead far away...

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 9:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Strange to say, but I become more homesick the closer my son's delivery date arrives. I don't think we'll be leaving for several years, yet, though.

I think Korea U would be foolish to use you: I can't imagine there is anyone in the field of Western Civilization with better qualifications than you in this country, or with equal intellectual versality. Why don't you lobby to get the rule changed? (Or, better yet, get the students to lobby for you.)

 
At 10:01 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Actually, Nathan, it turns out that my wife and I misunderstood the 'rule.' I'll post about this stuff on Friday, but the short version is that this is a national law and it concerns any contract workers, not just foreigners.

I just want to clear that up, but I'll have to explain a bit more ... insofar as I understand it all.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 11:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good heavens! I could have sworn I had typed in "lose," not "use." I wouldn't want Korea University to either lose or "use" (in the negative sense of the word), you. Anyway, good luck. Sorry about that typo.

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Oddly, Nathan, I read "lose," not "use." Interesting that your intent came through despite the typo.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home