Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Poetry Break: "Duplicity"

If I keep posting these things, I'll have to write some new ones...

This poem, "Duplicity," is actually a song -- a duet, in fact, with the second person echoing the first in the initial stanza and the first person echoing the second in the latter stanza.

As might be expected in such a duplicitous poem, the duplicity runs deep.
Duplicity

Leave, languished love, illicitly,
Leave, one I idolize,
Leave me, all multiplicity,
Leave me to idle eyes.
Leave me to idle eyes.

Come, comfort of complicity,
Come, color of disguise,
Come ink me in iniquity,
Come succor me with lies.
Come succor me with lies.
Copyright (I lie not) 1992. By Horace Jeffery Hodges (also true).

2 Comments:

At 12:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so, is there music? I hear a kind of motet, with surprises programmed in...

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Dilys, yes, there's music. A motet? Maybe. I kept it very simple, with just my wife and me singing in turn, then joining for the final verse of each stanza.

We sang together at a small-time concert in Tuebingen while we were both studying Germany.

I wish that I were trained in music so that I could write out the notes and perhaps improve on them.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home