Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Happy Birthday to Gypsy Scholar!

This blog Gypsy Scholar, I mean.

Actually ... I forgot the Gypsy's birthday, which passed by unheralded on February 27th. One year ago on that day appeared the Gypsy's first blog entry -- some nonsense on Jack Deride.

In honor of that moment, I quote literary critic Elizabeta Šeleva, one of the "Independent Writers of Macedonia," who in her "Love and Alchemy: Towards Dionysusian Propagation of the Theory of Literature" (Blesok no. 07, February-March, 1999) says this about the great Jack Deride:
If Ludvig Wintenstein Solomonianly says that "One should not speak about what should be kept unuttered", nowadays Jack Deride "does just what he says"(Gregory Ulmer, 1983) with his essays, enabling them the supremacy, priority of typically erotic (Tantric) techniques of the break, interruptedness and lingering, the collage and montage.
Šeleva cites Gregory Ulmer's "The Object of Post-Criticism," from Anti-Aesthetic (1983), edited by Hal Foster. Ulmer and Foster, unlike Wintenstein and Deride, are two people who really do exist.

Elizabeta Šeleva exists, too. That's her up in the righthand corner. And she seems to have a sense of humor.

Gypsy Scholar, sadly, does not exist. He is merely one of Alexius Meinong's "nonexistent objects"...

5 Comments:

At 10:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations; I've enjoyed this addition to the blogosphere here very much.

 
At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto. Happy Birthday. May there be many more to come.

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, guys. I just hope that I don't wake up early one morning to find the old Gypsy lost in the ozone.

That could happen, for I'm finding that I cannot trust Blogger -- it's been eating some of the links on my blogroll, and given my poor memory for details, I'll never find some of them again...

Anyway, thanks.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 12:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday. I hope you don't get get too much cake on yourself. I know how those first birthdays can be.

 
At 4:21 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Fortunately, James, missing the actual day of my blogospheric birthday means that I missed the cake.

Jessica, thanks.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home