Thursday, February 16, 2012

Jeju Island Vacation

Waves Crashing Against Coast of Jeju Island
 Photo by Yoo Chung

Blogging may be light for the next few days as we head for Jeju Island, the largest water-encircled spot of dry land in Korea and a beloved local tourist trap that recently spent about 20 million dollars to vote itself into the finals of a popularity contest for one of the New Seven Wonders of Nature even though I tried to influence the voting by rooting for the Horsehead Nebula, to no avail, thereby demonstrating to anyone actually paying attention to me that I'm no power blogger.

Although I prefer the rugged beauty of Ulleung Island, Jeju is also quite nice, and it's in fact the place where Sun-Ae and I spent our honeymoon for several days way back in the winter of 1995, so this is sort of an anniversary trip, I suppose. Speaking of anniversaries, the coming July marks 20 years since my wife and I met on a train in Germany! But more on that another time.

If I am able to blog at all on this trip, I'll post a few select images with captions but little text since my time will be spent in other pursuits . . . such as yelling at the children to get away from the edge of that cliff on the south side of Halla Mountain!

Meanwhile, for any of my readers who happen to be criminals of the burglar persuasion, beware of the two-headed Goya-Angi that hungrily haunts our home . . . though if you do break in and somehow survive, please feed the two turtles and the one hamster on your remains.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 12:18 AM, Anonymous LH said...

This is absolutely beautiful.

I would not be able to take my children - they're too much like me and would cause their mother to have a heart attack by being compelled to look over the edge. Perhaps when they are older and have children of their own to worry about!

Enjoy your time :)
LH

 
At 7:00 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

LH, Jeju Island has a great deal of lovely, scenic views, but it's mostly safe. I'll try to post a few photos over the next few days.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home