Saturday, February 13, 2021

Scary Little Scorpions

I hope this poem works out right; I worked on it all afternoon.

Scorpions, Scorpions

Scorpions are scary little creatures.
I wish they were not little, but were big,
for one of their scary little features
is to look like a harmless tiny twig.

Maybe being bigger would be better.
They'd find far harder hiding in a home.
No more would you have to 'look the debtor'
to lizards let in eating as they roam.

For the most part, writing these poems has been easy, like walking downhill, but today, nary a step was easy.

By the way, I do know that the world does have some big scorpions in it, but the ones I saw in the Ozarks were rather small. And we do have some pretty big lizards there.

Glade lizards, for instance. The adult glade lizard can be more than a foot in length.

4 Comments:

At 2:28 AM, Blogger Carter Kaplan said...

I wonder, is it possible that Jim Morrison meant the Glade Lizard when he designated himself the "Lizard King"?

I looked, and I could find nothing pertaining to this question in the scholarship.

 
At 7:02 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Maybe "Lounge Lizard"?

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger Kevin Kim said...

They sell these on sticks in China, ja?

Ah, yes—yes, they do.

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Makes my skin crawl.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home