Tuesday, September 01, 2020

Communication with Junichi Nakashima

As my regular readers know, I finally located my old friend Junichi Nakashima from my freshman year at Baylor, and here's his most recent email, in which he refers to a book of photos that I gave him 45 years ago (and he includes an image), among other things that he says:

Hi, Jeffery.

That's the book you gave me.
So now you are a writer. Absolutely amazing. I like to get a hard copy, not e-book.
I've been terribly busy for a few days for the new performance this weekend. 
I'll text you again soon
Keep in touch.

Yours,

Junichi Nakashima

The e-book he refers to is my novella The Bottomless Bottle of Beer, and the performance he mentions has some connection to his acting, in which he acts out vignettes of famous scenes of stage and screen, so far as I can understand what he does. I'll learn more when we've had time to catch up on the past 45 years.

Anyway, he's multi-talented, not just an actor, but a poet, a writer, and a painter. He's also a blackbelt in judo and karate, if I rightly recall.

2 Comments:

At 5:04 PM, Blogger Kevin Kim said...

It's amazing to witness this reconnection, which is happening after all these years. Assuming travel restrictions and other pandemic-related measures loosen up sometime over the next year or two, I hope you both have a chance to meet each other again, give each other a warm hug, and sit down to talk about old times and to catch up on each other's lives. After that, it'll be interesting to see what blossoms from this reconnection.

 
At 7:42 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

It will be interesting, for sure. One of the most amazing things to me is that he still has that book of photographs that I gave him 45 years ago.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home