Wednesday, July 18, 2018

"Lincoln's 'Unfathomable Sorrow'

with a
Bust of
Lincoln

The sculptor Vinnie Ream explains her statue of Lincoln (click site link above, scroll down):
"I think that history is particularly correct in writing Lincoln down as the man of sorrow. The one great, lasting, all-dominating impression that I have always carried of Lincoln has been that of unfathomable sorrow, and it was this that I tried to put into my statue."
I have borrowed the quote and image from Gregory Tomso: European Journal of American Studies, 6-2, 2011, Special Issue: Oslo Conference, "Lincoln's 'Unfathomable Sorrow': Vinnie Ream, Sculptural Realism, and the Cultural Work of Sympathy in Nineteenth-Century America."

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 11:10 PM, Anonymous Chris said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 4:13 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Who are you, Chris, and what are you linking to?

I'll give you 24 hours to explain yourself.

Meanwhile, I'd advise people NOT to click on the link Chris provides.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home