Monday, December 25, 2017

A New Christmas Cake and an Old Christmas Poem . . .

Christmas Cake
Christmas of 2017

Merry Christmas
to
All My Readers

I posted this pom several Christmases ago, but it's always topical this time of the year, and I deserve a day off, so here goes:
Christmas Present
A year brings now another Christmas nigh,
And were there still those twelve medieval days
To celebrate a dozen, courtly ways,
I'd greet this time without protesting sigh.

For hardly greeted is it fast foreby
And lost within that sempiternal maze,
Forever hidden from our baffled gaze,
Where every single Christmas past will lie.

And yet, one dozen Christmases to fete
Would soon be just as all forever gone
Into that same dark labyrinth of time.

Such is of every Christmas past the fate
Predictable: it ought to prompt a yawn,
But since I muse, this Christmas Present rhyme.
You can also find it on page 104 of my collected poems, Radiant Snow. If only there were eleven more days . . .

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 1:03 AM, Blogger Kevin Kim said...

Merry Christmas to you and yours. Peace and blessings.

 
At 2:43 AM, Blogger Carter Kaplan said...

Merry Christmas, Jeffery!

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Carter Kaplan said...

I say take eleven more days, who's to say you can't!

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

My teaching schedule says I can't - classes start tomorrow, December 27th.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 1:41 AM, Blogger Carter Kaplan said...

Well, take it slowly. I don't think I'l ever cure myself of my work ethic, but learning to ignore is possible.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home