Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Hermann Hesse Reads a Poem on Life


My wife went to a one-day meeting of experts on German language and literature this past weekend and returned with handouts of the sort one always receives at such gatherings. In one booklet, I saw Hermann Hesse's poem "Im Nebel," and I noticed a point to point out, but in searching the internet for a copy of the poem, I found many discrepancies, until I happened upon a site on Hesse that had him reciting the poem, and in that way did I get a true copy, which you see below, along with a link in the title to Hesse reciting the poem:
Im Nebel
Seltsam, im Nebel zu wandern!
Einsam ist jeder Busch und Stein,
Kein Baum sieht den anderen,
Jeder ist allein.

Voll von Freunden war mir die Welt,
Als noch mein Leben licht war;
Nun, da der Nebel fällt,
Ist keiner mehr sichtbar.

Wahrlich, keiner ist weise,
Der nicht das Dunkel kennt,
Das unentrinnbar und leise
Von allem ihn trennt.

Seltsam, im Nebel zu wandern!
Leben ist Einsamsein.
Kein Mensch kennt den andern,
Jeder ist allein.
The thing I noticed was that "Nebel" written backward spells "Leben." Is that significant? I do not know.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home