Monday, December 26, 2016

Still Christmas in the Ozarks . . .

Seoul Morning
Google Images

But 'Boxing Day' sits upon the Seoul throne for now . . .

Anyhow . . . I woke up early yesterday morning - 5:00 a.m., to be precise - and fed the cats before deciding to stay awake and write a little Christmas poem because we didn't actually have the time to properly celebrate Christmas this year, so we had no tree, no wrapped gifts, no multicolored flickering lights, merely the echos of a dream from which I'd wakened feeling guilty that I had received gifts in the dream without giving any in return, and even though no actual gifts awaited me, I elected to write my wife a Christmas poem, a gift to her, as you by now can surely see:
Christmas Greetings, 2016

A merry Christmas morning,
and I awake in mourning --

no Christmas gift to place und-
er our sad and wizened,

lonely little Christmas tree;
still, have yourself a merry

little Christmas, full of cheer,
a sleepy holiday here,

our Seoul Christmas, with much of
what we've ever had: such love.
I sent this poem to my wife who sometime later emerged, concerned that I might be upset at finding no gift wrapped for me.

What fortunate irony . . .

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 5:10 AM, Blogger TheBigHenry said...

Nice thoughts, HJH.

Best wishes,
Henry

 
At 7:13 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, TBH! I hope you're enjoying the holidays!

Jeffery Hodges

@ @ @

 
At 5:52 AM, Blogger Carter Kaplan said...

Very sweet.

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, Carter, but I guess my book of poems now has to change its category from "Collected" to "Selected" . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger Carter Kaplan said...

And so the second collection begins.

(Vitasta nearly has the cover finished, btw.)

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, Carter! I anxiously await the results!

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home