Wednesday, February 24, 2016

"Cover Your S, Ms. Hepburn, or Mr. Grant will!"

Big Ho Grandiose
"And the lightning's pink glare,
aplomb bursting from lair,
went poof in the night,
proof the Banner was there!"
The Banner Edition!

My frenemy Kevin Kim has recently posted a "Hiss" in the direction of Bill Vallicella and me:
Dr. Vallicella and Dr. Hodges both write blog posts in which an "s" is surrounded by parentheses. See here for Dr. V's post, and here for Dr. H's.

Wherefore the urge to lock the "s" inside concave walls? I suspect that the letter "s" can be rather unruly, so it's only natural to want to take it aside every now and then to give it a proper beating, followed by strict confinement until it comes to its (s)en(s)e(s).
Actually, though I can't speak for Bill, my reason rather differs from Kevin's inference. The parentheses noted by Kevin appear in my blogpost title for February 22nd: "Taking North Korea at its (S)word." Here's my own reasoning:
People are always threatening to kick some S. Well, let them try! They'll first have to kick through those shields!
Now, you know . . . and here's Hepburn and Grant!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 11:09 AM, Blogger Kevin Kim said...

Sorry if "hiss" sounded like "Boo! Hiss!" I was focusing on the "s" and thinking in terms of linguistics terminology: an "s" is called a sibilant, hence the evocation of a serpent.

This doesn't mean I'm not your frenemy, though.

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

No problem, Kevin, you frenemy - I caught the pun!

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home