Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Nahi Mahdi: A Good Man

Nahi Mahdi
Google Images

A sense of humanity can overcome divisions, as we see in this video clip of television host Nahi Mahdi breaking down in tears over the plight of Christians recently driven from their homes by the Islamic State, which has taken control of much of eastern Syria and western Iraq:
Guest: "[It is terrible] when people come and force you to leave your home. This is what happened to the Christians today."

Nahi Mahdi: "Yes, the Christians. Today... I cried, at home."

Mahdi breaks down in tears

Guest: "This is one genuine Iraqi we have here."

Nahi Mahdi: "I went to the Al-Marbad market, near the city of Al-Zubeir. There is an area there which is predominantly Christian. I swear, they never made us feel [unwelcome] . . . They are our own flesh and blood. Some of them have left for Sweden or Germany . . . Who does [ISIS] think it is to drive out our fellow countrymen?! I want to take the people of Mosul and the government to task. They must take immediate measures to help these people. Our country is like a rose, and its petals are the Christians, the Arabs, the Kurds, the Sabians, the Shabak people . . . These are all our countrymen. I don't know what to say about this [ISIS]." (Memri Video Clip Nr. 4428, "Iraqi TV Host Breaks Down in Tears at Plight of Christians" Asia TV (Iraq), July 20, 2014)
I know nothing else about Mr. Nahi Mahdi, but I see that on this issue, his heart is in the right place . . .

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 1:30 AM, Anonymous J.B. said...

I recently read an article about homeshcooling in Seoul and someone by your exact name was mentioned. Are you, in fact, a homeschool dad?
I only ask because my family and I homeschool here in the States, but I am also a filmmaker and have been looking for an interesting angle on homeschooling to do a documentary about (Putting it in a good light, of course) and have been fascinated with homeschooling internationally. and how it is received in other countries.

 
At 7:11 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I did homeschool my kids up to middle school, but they also simultaneously attended Korean schools. I tried homeschooling alone with my daughter in middle school, but I began to have less time, so my daughter returned to Korean school.

I do try to ensure that my two children learn English well enough to be fluent, so I still do what might be termed limited homeschooling.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home