Sunday, April 08, 2012

Damn Yankees: Sarah Vaughn's Lola

Sarah Vaughn
1924-1990

When I first started dating Sun-Ae, way back in 1992, I used to visit her in Munich, and one time, she was playing a record (or maybe a CD?) by some jazz singer. I began listening to the singer's voice, which sounded familiar.
"Who's that?" I asked.

"Sarah Vogun," she replied, pronouncing the surname with a long "o" and a short "u."

I didn't recognize the name, so I checked. "Oh," I remarked, "Sarah Vaughn" (surname pronounced as "Vonn").

I thought of Vaughn recently because I discovered that she sang a version of "Whatever Lola Wants," the temptress song from Damn Yankees, a story in which a disappointed fan of some team defeated by the Yankees strikes a deal with the devil for his team to beat the Yankees. The original -- or at least the first version that I heard sung -- was rendered by Gwen Verdon, and I saw her performance back in the sixties on black-and-white television in my grandparents' home, and watching it now on You Tube, I'm surprised that my grandma let me watch it! Here are the lyrics to Vaughn's version:
Whatever Lola wants, Lola gets
And little man, little Lola wants you
Make up your mind to have (make up your mind to have)
No regrets (no regrets)
Recline yourself, resign yourself, you're through

I always get what I aim for
And your heart and soul is what I came for
Whatever Lola wants (Lola wants), Lola gets (Lola gets)
Take off your coat, don't you know you can't win
(Can't win, you'll never, never win)
You're no exception to the rule
I'm irresistable you fool
Give in (Give in, you'll never win)

Whatever Lola wants, Lola gets
I always get what I aim for
And your heart and soul is what I came for
Whatever Lola wants (Lola wants), Lola gets (Lola gets)
Take off your coat, don't you know you can't win
(Can't win, you'll never, never win)
You're no exception to the rule
I'm irresistable you fool
Give in (give in, you'll never win)
Give in (give in, you'll never win)
Give in.
I recall rooting for the poor man subjected to the temptation, hoping that he would resist, but I'm less sure of my inclinations now that I've heard Vaughn's interpretation . . .

By the way, I wonder if Lola is a Lilith figure. A recent book by Theresa Sanders, Approaching Eden: Adam and Eve in Popular Culture, implies that there is.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 9:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe grandma was a secret fan of musicals? I played Mr. Welch, the owner of the Washington Senators when RLT did "Damn Yankees" back in 2006. We had one heck of a Lola who would have tempted many to stray. Fun fact, "Damn Yankees" won 7 major Tony awards in 1956, including best actress for Gwen Verdon.

Jay

 
At 4:13 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Verdon was great! She was married to Bob Fosse and though estranged near the end held him in her arms as he died of a heart attack on the street outside a theater where Sweet Charity was playing.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home