Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Gypsy Scholar: Number 22!

Top 45 Literary Studies Blog 2010

Looks like not only E-katerina of Omsk and Anthony Loehnis of Interpol are contacting me these days. Just yesterday, I received an email from the people (all two of them) at "Top 45 Literary Studies Blog 2010," and the folks there address me familiarly enough that one would think that they know me even if they don't know better than to hail me as "Horace":
Dear Horace,

Congratulations! Emma Lee here, and your blog, Gypsy Scholar, has received our 2010 Top 45 Literary Studies Blogs award!

You can see your name amongst our winners here at: "Online PhD Programs."

Winners were chosen through a scoring system led by internet nominations, which came from your reader base!

You can let your readers know you won by embedding the badge code below.

If you choose not to accept the award, please let me know, so we can give your spot to the next person on our list. Dennis [i.e., Dennis Anderson] and I [i.e., Emma Lee] work hard to put these awards together, with zero outside financial assistance, and we don't want these awards to go to waste.

Please do not hesitate to call or email if you have any questions. Many questions can be answered at Awarding the Web: About or Awarding the Web: Disclaimer.

Again, Congratulations, and I hope to see your badge soon!

Cheers,

Emma Lee
Frankly speaking, I'm not entirely sure what to make of this. I've looked at some of their selections, and I see that my friend Scott Nokes, who blogs at Unlocked Wordhoard, is listed in fifth place as "Unlocked Word Hoard" (sic) even though he hasn't updated his blog since April 19, 2010 (and what's up with that lack of updates?). There's also seventh-ranked Anne Galloway, of Purse Lips Square Jaw, whose web address they've gotten slightly wrong and who, at any rate, has stopped blogging and left her blog archived since April 24, 2010. I don't know Dr. Galloway, but her blog looks more social sciency than literary.

Then, for this otherwise very impressive-sounding website, "Literary Studies Blogs," there's that odd-sounding web host, namely:
"Online PhD Programs."
And why does anyone even need a web host these days? Still, I don't ever look a gift horse in the mouth, so I'll proudly display my 'badge' here in today's blog post. After all, Ms. Lee and Mr. Anderson must have worked hard scouring the internet to find the top 45 literary blogs and therefore deserve some recognition for their efforts.

And since we're on the subject of recognition, I'd like to nominate Lee and Anderson's Top Literary Studies Awards site itself for a winning badge next year in the category of "Best Fiction" since any site that would recognize Gypsy Scholar as a top literary blog is surely imagining things.

UPDATE: Looks like I was right to be suspicious.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At 7:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's up with that "Top 45" stuff? Why not a Top 50, 100, some nice round number?

I'm thinking Horace you might best be on the lookout - the only thing where the number 45 is most commonly listed, usually and literally is prefaced by "Colt."

Let's hope your award is a case of malt liquor - but then I'm thinking, - the list should be "Top 24."

And that emblem does look suspiciously like a bulls-eye.

JK

 
At 7:11 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Yeah, I also wondered about that number. I mean . . . "Top 45"?

At least, it's unconventional.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger Gitte said...

i just love that universalism that goes almost unnoted. of course, these are the "top 45 literary studies blog 2010 IN ENGLISH".

still, congrats!

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Excellent point, Gitte. The top 45 are hardly the tops if other languages are ignored.

But I suspect that we can ignore this award anyway . . .

By the way, is "Zschoch" a Swiss-German name? I lived in Switzerland for over a year, and the spelling reminds me of Swiss German . . . but I'm only guessing here.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger Dr. Richard Scott Nokes said...

I'm working on integrating with Web 2.0, and I'm trying to get some new equipment.

I want to re-emerge, but I want to do it in an effective way.

 
At 5:13 PM, Blogger Gitte said...

as far as i now, the name is german-german, even though i'm not sure where it first emerged. there are even street and district names in the city of leipzig that have the name it in.

it is interesting that it reminds you of swiss-german; most people, germans included, think of it as somehow eastern-european.

ps. i think the fact that people from different nationalities write in english gives english speakers the false impression that things published/uttered in english comprise a somehow more universal mass than things published/uttered in, let's say, german or korean. english is so untangible in its borders...

 
At 7:30 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, Scott. I was thinking of checking in on you to make sure all was well.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I also imagine that Ms. Lee and Mr. Anderson are strongly rooted in the English language.

As for your name, the fact that it is uncommon (I presume) in Germany led me to think perhaps Switzerland.

I spent six years in Germany, by the way, and met my Korean wife there . . . on a train.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 11:18 AM, Anonymous Michael Bauman said...

I say you're number one.

You can put that on your website. No badges required.

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, Michael. Good to hear from you again, and I hope that you're feeling well once more.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home