Monday, November 02, 2009

Well, that's how they do it in Arkansas...

Everyone surely remembers the famous instructive series from Calvin and Hobbes where the omniscient father explains science and technology. My favorite is the one explaining how load limits on bridges are determined:


Of course, I already knew that this was the standard method because I grew up in Arkansas:


I believe that I see the need for a new sort of magazine aimed at the do-it-yourself market, something of a cross between Popular Mechanics and Better Homes and Gardens . . . plus maybe a bit of Field and Stream.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 9:18 AM, Blogger jeanie oliver said...

Not Calvin and Hobbs, but Jeanie and family-Here's how it would go in the family station wagon. I would ask something like the bridge question. Immediately, I would get silent slaps and pinches from sisters and mom. They knew the 2 hour lecture that would ensue on the physics and engineering aspects of said subjects. One did NOT interrupt knowledge being imparted by the patriarch. Soon my mom would call for a bathroom stop, and I would be cornered in the girl's bathroom by the "keep your mouth shut" gang. Somehow it didn't stop me and to the good fortune of my kids, I would expound on such questions in the car whenever Jake would ask. Unfortunately, he would be slapped and pinched my Sach and Eddy. Ahh, family traditions!
Jeanie

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Ah, you were lucky! We used to dream of being slapped and pinched during two-hour lectures about physics and engineering.

When I was young, they pounded our heads with baseball bats at even the whisper of such questions, and they spent four hours explaining!

You were lucky!

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home