Monday, October 05, 2009

Philip Yancey to Speak in Seoul October 18th

Philip Yancey
(Image from Young Nak Church)

Just in case anybody should be in Seoul and happen to be interested, Philip Yancey will be speaking this coming October 18th at Young Nak Church's Bethany Hall on the following impressive topic: "The Secret of the Universe."

So far as I can tell, the talk grapples with the following issues:
The world is good. The world is fallen. The world will be redeemed. Those three sentences summarize the Christian doctrines of Creation, Fall, and Redemption. Yes, but how do they truly apply in a world that includes slavery in Sudan, environmental destruction, and natural catastrophes worldwide? And how do they apply to the ordinary Christian trying to make sense of the mystery of existence?
I'm not familiar with this talk, which looks to be one aimed specifically at Christians, but Yancey seems to be a prolific writer in the Evangelical part of the Christian spectrum, and I've found some of his articles at Christianity Today interesting, though I've only read him sporadically. He has a clear, engaging style in his writing, and I'm told that this is also true of his speaking, but you can judge for yourself from a different talk on You Tube.

The talk will be on October 18th in the afternoon at 1:00 and at 3:00, admission free, at the following address:
Young Nak Church
2-69 Jeo Dong
Jung-ku
Seoul, Korea 100-032
The church is not far from Line Two's Euljiro 3-Ga Station (Exit 12), nor far from Line Three's Euljiro 3-Ga Station (Exit 10), and Line Four has two stops nearby: Chungmuro Station (Exit 5) and Myung-dong Station (Exit 10). For convenience, the church website has an interactive map.

I won't be able to attend since my wife has a translation meeting to go to, but anyone attending is welcome to report back here on the 'secret'.

I hope that it's as interesting as Liao Yibai's "Top Secret Hamburger" . . . or of an even earlier, esoteric "secret of the universe" that some of us know about.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 9:14 AM, Anonymous David Murdoch said...

I've read one of Philip Yancey's books, and he has an interesting perspective. You don't need to be an evangelical protestant to enjoy it (I'm not), although I could imagine why that community might be fond of him.

As a christian fiction author, I support his attempts at divulging christian messages in print and other media, even if I don't necessarily share the same belief on several things with him.

God Bless,

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, Mr. Murdoch, for the visit and comment, which would encourage me to attend the talk if my wife's schedule allowed me to do so.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home