Sunday, July 26, 2009

Sun-Ae's Ozark Images: Initial Days

South Fork River View
Click Images to Enlarge

According to my wife, Sun-Ae, En-Uk went down the hill to South Fork River -- which you see above with the many trees damaged by that ice storm from last winter -- and indeed got the turtle that he so confidenty asserted that he would catch (i.e., "I will catch a turtle tooday"), for Sun-Ae writes:
Today John took Sa-Rah and En-Uk to the river, and they actually caught a turtle but a very little one. They let it go. And something else they caught, too. But I don't remember, some kind of claufish.
Also a 'claufish'? Perhaps a "clawfish"? Sounds risky. Oh, I get it. A crawdad, a crayfish. Hence, my wife's Koreanized portmanteau word: "claufish'. Okay, that's straightened out . . . but what kind of turtle? Maybe I'll simply have to wait for En-Uk's own personal report. Meanwhile:
Kids also mowed the lawn, first on the truck with John. Later, Sa-Rah also did the push mower. She sweated and felt good about the exercise.
Excellent, they're suffering! Here's the iconic image:


Wait a second! En-Uk doesn't look to be suffering! I used to have to cut those weeds with a sling! If I mistake not, En-Uk is learning to drive a . . . dozer! Likewise, Sa-Rah -- despite using a pushmower -- is not even breaking a sweat, for the July temperature, much to my great astonishment, is reaching a high of merely 80 degrees fahrenheit (26.66 degrees centigrade):


She's obviously -- and coolly -- enjoying the outlook, for she observed: "Uncle John's new house has a great view." Hillbilly homes just ain't what they used to be, ain't what they used to be, ain't what they used to be, many long years ago! Rather like the "Old Gray Mare." Or like some episode from the Beverly Hillbillies! I fear that my kids will come back spoiled rather than disciplined! They'll also have a diminished image of their dad after scenes like this one:


Uncle John's place far exceeds what I've managed to obtain -- and the kids will certainly feel the difference when they return to Seoul! Sun-Ae, too, will not escape noticing the difference:


My wife, framed in the mirrored doorway, can thereby easily imagine herself living in such a house . . . and with such a variety of views:


Here's a close-up image of that 'lake':


But . . . what sort of 'lake'? On the phone, Sun-Ae described to me this lovely view of a nearby 'lake'. I had to ask:
"Near the hospital? A lake? That might be the sewage treatment pool."
In a moment of epiphany, Sun-Ae exclaimed:
"So . . . that's why your brother John smiled when he said, 'Yeah, you'd really like to go swimming in there'!"
I know somebody who did, and also what he stirred up from the lake's depths . . . but I won't mention any names. No, twarn't me! But let us turn to more pleasant scenes:


Here's the porch . . . or the patio. Either way, it's a spot for barbecues! Here's a clearer view, 'lake' partly included:


I begin to see clearly that I chose the wrong career path. I ought to have striven for the title of "Reverend" rather than "Professor"! At least I have successful brothers who are willing to share their wealth . . . and generous nieces like John's grown-up daughter, Crystal, as Sun-Ae noted:
Crystal said that Sa-Rah should come to the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville, where she lives. She thinks that she can be a guardian for Sa-Rah and help her out for adjusting. I think that we should consider that prospect. Sa-Rah thinks of the possibility very positively. Crystal would be a very good person for her, I think. And Sa-Rah will feel more secure with her and near families.
This sounds like a very good idea, one that never would have occurred to me, but Sa-Rah could well benefit from family guidance when living in the States for the first time.

Well, there will be more photographs -- far more stunning ones . . . if the camera can capture them adequately.

Labels: , ,

17 Comments:

At 6:39 AM, Blogger Teacher Leo said...

Ah - family. And their wealth as compared to yours - they always seem to be doing better, especially when measured against childhood memories and by the eyes of children whom you raised with horror stories about 'when I was young we had to...'
My sisters have done the same to me - one has a thriving B&B in South Africa, the other is married to a doctor, and the third is carving out a niche in Auckland as a great teacher!
Still, given all that, I would not change anything about my life if given the chance - I've done what is true for me, and found my riches in being true to myself.
And - from what I've read here so far, so have you.

 
At 6:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Judging from appearances, I guess I'd best advise that your brother refrain from cutting "crotch-growing" trees.

(I can't remember - if I ever knew - the proper name for a tree that grows with multiple trunks. So, no potty mouthing there.)

As a youth Dad took me to where he grew up (Pineville) and showed me a tree that had a Coke bottle placed in the "crotch" several years before - (at thee time) all one could see was the bottom of the bottle and the top. I thought being able to "see through a tree" was pretty cool.

I took up a habit of placing bottles (when handy) in just the same sort of way. However, it was more common for me to simply place the handiest objects, rocks mainly, (no, never rifles) likeways.

A particular tree stands out in memory. Mainly because it was very fast growing. Were a feller to take a chain saw to that tree, he'd best be the kind of feller who truly enjoys sharpening saw chains. Best I recall nine softball sized rocks are contained within its' innards.

I too know the guy who went swimming in "the lake" or at least the one I "think" you meant. I'll mention no names either, but I could tell some interesting stories concerning certain persons and "that lake."

I clicked the Salem link and read about the "clear running waters of the Southfork."

Whoever wrote the article apparently never ventured downstream from "the mouth of the Town Branch." Perhaps coincidentally, that's only a "stone's throw" from where "the lake" sits.

I wouldn't cut any firewood near there either. Well, especially multi-trunked trees in about a 20 acre proximity.

(JK? In this one case, prove me wrong.)

Herschel D.

 
At 6:47 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Well . . . I've made a few mistakes that I regret, but even my errors of judgement have all led up to my present happiness. That's the irony of life, I guess.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 6:52 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Herschel, I'll let my brother know your warning about the trees.

I also laughed to read of South Fork's clear-running waters. The hog farms along the banks don't contribute to clarity on this issue.

Oh, I also saw a reference to your father in one of those links -- perhaps the same link as with the South Fork River?

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 10:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can remember fishing with Gene Franks (Dad's "cousin"/friend) anyway, the guy who showed me where chinqapins remained in the Ozarks. Gene and I (I "think" I was about 10) caught a 42 pound catfish on a limb-line...

Anyway, Gene couldn't get it pulled into the boat. He told me to, "Get in there" (the water - I could see the churning - and was really scared) "Get below him and push."

It really helped when Gene said, "If he bites you, bite him back."

And John Bray.

We caught a damn big "something" on a trot-line. He could "tell" it was moving and so told me "It's a turtle, "I'll keep his head up, just get under and push the d*** thing into the boat."

Being young and dumb.

Southfork is not the same. Heck, probably no one beyond our life-experience will ever know the river as we did.

I sometimes wonder about progess.

John Bray "went swimming" when that 43 pound (dressed out) snapping turtle landed at his feet.

(I will say this, John took the turtle to Corwin Mosey - who cleaned it - the turtle was egg-filled.)

Best omelet I ever had.

Herschel D.

 
At 10:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The large home, spacious, green yard, and broad vistas must seem like a paradise to your wife and children from Seoul. However, the saying about the grass being greener may hold true here. Your wife and children might feel culturally isolated and bored if they were to live in the rural Ozarks year-round. I think your daughter would enjoy attending the University of Arkansas as college towns generally offer the cultural richness of large cities without the very high cost of living or crime.

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Herschel, your stories bring back memories. Maybe you'll have to write up a blog entry for Gypsy Scholar like Uncle Cran does -- or like you sort of did with Preacher Roe.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Sonagi, I think that you're correct -- they would miss Seoul and Korean culture as well as their friends. But they might be willing to trade those for the Ozarks.

Anyway, the kids are having experiences and will learn a lot from my kinfolk.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 6:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just advise the kid Jeff (in the offchance Fayetville's PD is to come to any "rescue")

www.arktimes.com/blogs/.../fayetteville_officers_cleared.aspx

And, in the "offchance" the link doesn't get one there directly, the circumstances were:

Fayettville Police used deadly force in their efforts to "deter" an assailant from "doing harm" to his intended. The Fayettville cops fired nine rounds.

One of the shots fired entered the head of the "intended." NO bullet injuries impacted the assailant.

Two things should be kept in mind when determining Fayett-Nam as "a good place to live."

1. Don't be on Dickson Street after midnight.

2. If you do ask for assistance from 911, request the responders be un-armed.

Herschel D.?

Yeppers, I read ALL the comment thread prior to posting my own.

Now I think, I'll proceed with the civil lawsuit against you, that the Washington County authorities dropped those many years ago.

What is it HD, what is your problem with having rocks near at hand? I'll echo the NRA. (Well except for the Fayettville PD)-

"Rocks don't kill people, people kill people."

JK

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

JK, what you've described could happen anywhere. For instance, it happens in parallel universes all the time. Which explains why I won't be sending my daughter to a parallel universe for 'university'.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 10:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I apologize Jeff, to you especially, Cran probably knows it too but since he slept on a lake and walked uphill to and from wherever the heck he was going to or from - well I get confused sometimes.

Herschel NEVER did any of that. He was the kid of a rich guy who never in his life had to smell the crap from an undersized crap-smasher, and then a big (here I understand the spelling "craufish" - since Herschel D. is involved - however somehow)?

Remember the mussels that used to inhabit Southfork?

Ask En-Uk to find a mussel.

Turtles are easy. Maybe even a 40-something pounder. Even a big to middlin' catfish, though I doubt even that nowadays.

Take a picture of a mussel bed and post it.

HD admits to "rockin' trees."

Heck,post something specifically mentioning Southfork.

My guess is, he had detrimental effects on clarity too.

JK

 
At 6:04 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

JK, I had forgotten about the mussels, but I'll mention them to En-Uk. You must be quite familiar with that river.

But go easy on longsuffering Herschel, JK. He may have been well-off as a youngster (and there's nothing wrong with that), but I believe that he has weathered a lot in his life.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 12:41 AM, Blogger jeanie oliver said...

I vote for the U of A. Both of my kids managed to survive Dickson street!! It took a few hellfire and brimstone lectures from their mom, but they did come out the other side of the university alive!
Sach lives in Bentonville, and could become more extended family over there.
I, to protect the innocence of my youth, shall not reveal my stories here of the South Fork river!
Well, I could tell about all of my fishing and camping trips with Dad, but I was thinking more along the lines of high school stories!
Jeanie

 
At 5:25 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

About those stories, "to protect the innocence of . . . youth" who read this entry, please do "not reveal . . . stories" about "the South Fork river"!

We've already heard from Herschel of rocks in trees along its banks awaiting some unsuspecting woodsman's chainsaw, and that is corrupting enough. I hope that my children never read such things and get any ideas!

I, on the other hand, have never done anything wrong . . . and I hope that my kids also never do. Your "hellfire and brimstone lectures" will be welcome if needed.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 7:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't encountered any rocks while sawing down trees for firewood, but I did discover another custom, that of hanging horseshoes on tree limbs for "luck."
My luck was sawing into one and ruining a chain saw chain.
I was sawing away and all of a sudden sparks flew and my chain went dull. I was curious, and since the chain was already ruined, I cut it out and found the limb had grown around the horseshoe.
Maybe it brought good luck to whoever put it there, but it was an $18.00 different luck for me.
And I hoped the guy who did this had lots of the same kind as I had, (assuming he was still around).
Jeannie, don't worry, none on this blog will tell! And I do have an email address....

Cran

 
At 7:19 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Herschel, you weren't 'hanging around' Uncle Cran's place many years ago, were you?

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Jen, I blog regularly about the Ozarks, so if you click on "Ozark Mountains" at the end of an entry or do a Google Search for "Ozarks" coupled with "Gypsy Scholar," you should manage to find various other entries, including family remembrances from up to about 100 years ago.

Thanks for visiting.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home