Thursday, August 21, 2008

Back from Soraksan Nature Preserve

Daechongbong Peak (대청봉), Soraksan (설악산)
Taebaek Mountain Range (태백산맥)
(Image from Wikipedia)

My wife's 'prediction' turned out correct. I did NOT blog during vacation.

Nevertheless, I had a good time, and have photographs to prove it . . . eventually. For the nonce, satisfy yourself with an official image from Wikipedia's collection. This one's of Daechongbong Peak (대청봉), which at 5,603 feet (1,708 meters) towers more than a mile above sea level. That might not sound like much, but it rises from a low altitude, for nearby lies the coast of the East Sea (i.e., Sea of Japan).

I also managed to read the very short book Gnosis: An Introduction, by Christoph Markschies, a man whom I knew during my time at Tübingen. I can't say that I knew him well, but we attended Martin Hengel's Friday evening seminar on Judaism and early Christianity for about four years together and also took part in a couple of seminars on Gnosticism under Alexander Böhlig. I'll have more to say about these things in the next few days.

For now, though, I have more than 70 emails to drudge through.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 2:04 PM, Blogger Michael Levy said...

Hi Jeffery,

I found this looking for info on hiking Seoraksan, but I'm interested in your career as a professor moving from one country to another. That's a lifestyle that is highly appealing to me. I'm starting grad school in biology/ecology this fall. Any advice?

Thanks!

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Michael Levy, thanks for visiting.

Moving around as a professor is a career for a young man -- and you're still young -- but I'd advise young scholars to cultivate their connections in the place where they'd like to put down roots.

I wouldn't advise moving around too long, or you'll never get a tenured position. Of course, you might not want tenure . . . at least, you might think not.

Stability becomes more important when you start a family.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Michael Levy said...

Thanks for the perspective. Definitely something to keep in mind.

Michael

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

You're welcome. Good luck.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home