Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Ex-Student Blogs Gypsy Scholar!

The Western Heritage
- Kagan, Ozment, Turner -
Ex-Student on my Teaching, my Blog, my Self
(Image from Pearson Education)

A couple of days ago, as I was checking my Site Meter, I noticed that someone had visited from a website hosted by Naver, a Korean internet service. Curious about that, I clicked and found that a certain 'Zhunbei,' a former Korean student of mine from my Western Civilization course at Korea University, had posted a February 2008 blog entry about me . . . in Korean!

Well, the Korean-language thing is not actually surprising, but as long-time readers know, I make absolutely no claims to expertise in Korean, so I asked my wife to read the post and tell me what it said. She quickly rattled off what the student had written, but she had no time to help translate it closely, and I had no time to write down what she'd said until now. I have therefore had to rely mostly on "Google Translate," assisted by my memory of what Sun-Ae had told me, and both are very faulty instuments in this instance.

You can go to the site itself if you are interested in the Korean original, which was written in response to a piece that I had composed for the Korea Herald way back in February of this year, a tongue-in-cheek "Expat Living" column that my former student posted under the remarks about me in Korean, for which I offer below this very approximate paraphrase in English:
The author of the column was my instructor at university two years ago in Western Civilization (The Western Heritage), but he usually teaches literature courses. His full name is Horace Jeffery Hodges.

Now a professor at Kyung Hee University, he is very unusual and humorous, so you don't forget him. He has an extraordinarily high, bulging forehead, and the wrinkles around his mouth are hidden by his moustache. On his head, as a covering, he always wears a Turkish-like cap to hide his lack of hair. He would never tell us his age, so I can't even guess how old he is. Having studied English Literature in the United States, he's now teaching it here.

He always made a thorough search for plagerism in our essays, which he seemed pleased to confirm through a few simple Google searches. He noted every error -- even spelling and punctuation -- on our essays, which he also returned to us.

Thanks to his blog, I've become a morning person, for he gets up every morning around 4-5 to write. Sometimes, you can read what he has written about English literature, but at other times, he tells stories about his childhood home. The writing is sometimes intimidating, but it is also witty and humorous as well as fun and informative.

Some additional information . . . he seems proud of American traditions . . . and also seems to have a certain pride for the rural area in the United States where he comes from. He seems to be a strong believer in Christianity . . . and he presented Nietzsche's ideas as a good lesson of how one thinks when one does not believe. Looking at the contents of the religious blogs on his blog roll, there seem to be many. And his anti-Islamist sentiment is strong. Sometimes, the entries are about problems in Islam.

Finally, he takes pride in English Literature, and his article in the Korea Herald argues for the purity of the right phrasing and rejects impure, sexually allusive language in English writing. This man wants people to pay much closer attention to purifying language, so he writes his critique.
Interesting . . . to me, anyway. I had to guess at the meaning of some parts because "Google Translator" garbles a lot of things in translating from Korean into English, so I've very likely misunderstood several points, probably many points, and I've had to leave some phrases out that I simply could not decipher.

From what I understand, however, I think, however, that the student overemphasizes my 'piety' and perhaps misses the irony in my language column for "Expat Living," but any readers who notice that I've misunderstood what the student wrote are welcome to post a comment and correct me.

The student's remarks seem generally positive, but I come across as a bit weird . . . which reminds me of a George Carlin driving joke, "Idiots and Maniacs," that puts my 'weirdness' into perspective:
Have you ever noticed that when you're drivin', anyone goin' slower than you is an idiot? And anyone goin' faster than you is a maniac? . . . . [I]t's a wonder we ever get anywhere at all these days, what with all the idiots and maniacs out there.
You see, it ain't me what's weird. It's everybody else . . . which to my mind explains a lot that's wrong in the world.

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

At 7:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some interesting comments from a former student. I wonder, is he hoping for future favors?
Also, his descriptions of your physical characteristics are interesting, although he seems to only notice from head to chin.
HIGH BULGING FOREHEAD - This must be from studying my countrified stories, noting all my mistakes, and spending huge amounts of time poking fun at his {favorite?} uncle. Be careful, all that sarcasm might cause an explosion!.
MOUTH WRINKLES - The moustache hides the squarish shape of the lips when angry or BAWLING. It's a good thing he confined himself to these characteristics, or he might have noticed all the flaws enumerated by older brother Pat.
INTIMIDATING WRITING - Only to poor, uneducated, senile Uncle Cran.
WITTY, HUMOROUS, FUN - WELL, I'M WAITING.........!!!!!
INFORMATIVE - Especially on such items as "drinking smoke," and archaic poetic attempts.
But in fact I would have to agree with many of his descriptions of Jeffery. Keep on blogging and, in the words of the cable guy, "GET 'ER DONE!!"
Cran

 
At 7:42 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Uncle Cran, the student probably needs no favors from me since I have no strings to pull anywhere -- and the student probably never expected me to see the description, especially since it appeared in Korean!

I suspect the student to show up here some day and happily latch onto your descriptions of me and my various flaws -- whether physical, emotional, intellectual, or spiritual. Probably all of these...

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger jeanie oliver said...

Can you say,
"I suspect the student...."

Jeanie

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Actually, Jeanie, I wondered about that myself.

Originally, I had written "I expect the student," but I wanted to avoid repetition (i.e., "student probably never expected me"), so I changed "expect" to "suspect" and waited to see what others would say.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 9:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All of which reminds me of another story --------- at a later time, of course, as I still have some hay to bale, am under pressure at the school to complete my remodeling project in time for the 'maintenance technicians' to clean up the mess, strip and wax the floors, and conclude the griping at my insensitivity to their needs in pre-school preparation.
{everyones favorite??} Uncle!
Cran

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

A hillbilly's work is never done...

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 12:51 AM, Blogger Dorian Gray said...

Oh the nice feeling of glory :)

I haven't been here for awhile, I hope all is well!

(and guess who will see Leonard Cohen in October?! )

 
At 5:40 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Leonard Cohen, eh? Lucky you. Wish I could be there.

Thanks for visiting again.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home