Saturday, November 10, 2007

Ways with Words...

Ginkgo Tree in Autumn
Deciduous because its leaves decide to fall...
(Image from Wikipedia)

Spengler -- the extant one, I mean -- tells a great joke about Martin Heidegger:
Heidegger never produced a consistent theory; God put Heidegger in a circular room, and told him that Being was in the corner.
What a great twist on the old joke about being put in a round room and told to pee in the corner!

Speaking of a way with words, here's a poem that my daughter, Sa-Rah Ahyoga, wrote a couple of days ago for her eight-year-old brother, En-Uk Sequoya, titling it "My Brother":
My brother's shouting.
My brother's pouting.

Why does he do it?
We never know it.

But one thing's for sure.
He's never mature.
Although En-Uk panned this poem in his critical review, I say that it's pretty durn good for a 10-year-old girl who speaks Korean better than English! I asked if she wanted to change "know" to "knew" for the rhyme, but upon reflection, she said, "No because the tense wouldn't work."

I'll just bask here in the light of my daughter's glory...

Hey, no persnarkety remarks about blogfathers being too proud of their kids! If Professor Nokes can have his daughter write a book review of Kid Beowulf for his blog, then I can have my daughter post a poem to my blog!

I'm really just a homebody at heart.

Now as for my own literary endeavors, they've largely gone on hold . . . aside from my scribblings on this blog. Yesterday, however, I dashed off a little haiku, which I've titled "Snow Fall":
Nonhexagonal,
Swirling golden ginkgo leaves.
O radiant snow.
I was caught up, momentarily, in a snowstorm of gold as I passed through an archway of ginkgo trees on my way to the Medieval conference.

Probably, this little poem doesn't work, but the moment felt nice...

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

At 6:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

JK was transfixed by what followed your "illustrated" haiku.

" caught up momentarily
a snowstorm of gold I passed ginkgo trees.
My way to the Medieval conference."

That last line you'd so cleverly hidden posed too many problems.

Just read a thing where an Italian musician found after realizing he should emulate the going from right to left, only to find Leonardo left music to accompany his "Last Supper."

By the way, I appreciate your daughters' way of processing her your suggestion.

JK

 
At 8:14 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

JK, looks like you made a poem of my prose.

The Leonardo allusion is lost on me. I know that he developed a writing code in which he wrote right to left, but "left music" for his "Last Supper"? What music was that?

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 9:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/world/5289042.html

JK

 
At 10:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doggone, the URL was too long,
how about:

http://english.pravda.ru/news/world/09-11-2007/100593-Da_Vinci-0

JK

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

JK, the address doesn't work. Better to post a quote and let me Google.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 6:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21724485/.

And if that doesn't work, the guy who discovered the music has the name of "Pala"

Look on MSNBC's "news homepage"

JK

 
At 6:39 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

JK, that finally got me there, but I'm too ignorant of music to judge whether or not the guy is right.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 11:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed this post, Jeffery, just as I continue to enjoy your very fine blog!

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, Nathan. I assume that the main force of this particular entry was my daughter's poem.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 2:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As cute as your daughter's poem is, it was the Wikipedia photo and your haiku that first caught my eye.

May I feature the haiku at Ginkgo Dreams?

Kelly (aka kangmi)

 
At 3:30 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Kelly (aka kangmi), certainly. No problem at all. I'm flattered that you might consider my little haiku worthy of your lovely Ginkgo Dreams website.

Thanks for asking.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home