Thursday, November 01, 2007

Porter Wagoner: "Missouri Loves Company"

"Misery Loves Company"
(Image from You Tube)

After posting yesterday on Porter Wagoner's death, the thought occurred to me that I might be able to find some You Tube video of Porter singing "Misery Loves Company" -- I was right. Here's the man singing that song with a couple of other musicians whom I don't recognize, and if you listen with the right mental framework, he really does sound like he's saying "Missouri Loves Company":
"Misery Loves Company"
I wish that the video's quality were better. In the first half of the song, the words being sung and the lips doing the singing don't match very well, but when the camera focuses on Porter alone, the match is perfect. [Note, I've now updated the video link.]

Humor aside, that song isn't one of my favorites. I like better this other song from his recent, most critically acclaimed Wagonmaster album, a song apparently about a nervous breakdown that he once had:
"Committed to Parkview"
It can also be seen and heard at Amazon, the site that I linked to yesterday but only later noticed hosts this same video as well. In "Committed to Parkview," Porter looks like Andrew Jackson might have looked if he'd become a country musician rather than the seventh president of the United States.

I was telling this to my wife yesterday, and she asked, "Who's Andrew Jackson?" She didn't ask me who Porter Wagoner was...

If you, though, ain't got no notion of who Porter Wagoner was, here's a ten-minute video of Porter and Dolly Parton having a good ol' time reminiscing about good ol' times on The Porter Wagoner Show. You even get to see Speck Rhodes on the bass.

You might not like this kind of music, and I can understand that reaction, having myself reacted against it at times, but it's some authentic Americana, and it's part of who I am . . . not that you'd consider that any sort of positive recommendation.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At 7:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Biddled, diddled and undone."

JK

 
At 7:07 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

JK, wouldn't that be "Diddled, biddled and undone"? Sounds better your way, but logically?

Or maybe chronologically...

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 7:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes.

JK was attempting a more allusive link to the posted genre. The Scholar has pointed out JK's elliptical way of communicating. Should JK not be expected to (in the current context) deviate from the actualities of the history?

The songs/stories from this particular genre apparently came from real-life situational realities. But the artist (JK is not one) must be given some rein: some means of telling a story without incurring the wrath (indeed actual violence) of the people involved in the artists writing?

A simple inquisition of those artists' timeframe never excluded the possiblity.

JK

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I never inquire too closely into the lives of Country Music singers, whose lives bear no closer scrutiny than my own, "for all have sinned and come short of the glory of God," as somebody once said -- and you can quote me on that.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 7:41 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Or maybe they "fall short"?

Same difference...

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home