Saturday, May 14, 2005

Today is my birthday, and I turn . . .

. . . a year older, dammit!

Pardon my vulgar Latin, but I feel like my Aunt Betty, who being revived from a diabetic coma and being asked "How old are you?" replied:

"Too old."

My Uncle Harlin laughed, relieved that Betty would be her old self again.

But like her, I feel "Too old." In the couple of weeks since my flying fall down the subway steps, I've recovered quite well, but I still wake up every morning with my right arm feeling as though it's going to come apart at its joints.

A week ago, after the splint came off, the doctor wanted me to come in several times for physical therapy. I tried it once and decided once was sufficient. The nurse did three consecutive things:

1. Wrapped my arm in hot towels. (I could do that myself!)

2. Applied electric shocks to my wrist. (To scare the pain away?)

3. Smeared cold cream along my upper forearm. (To undo the benefit of the hot towels?)

No actual physical therapy, you'll note. I'd had enough. The hot towels were pleasant, but I can get the same effect from washing dishes in hot water every evening -- plus the physical therapy of using my arm.

My home remedy seems to be working, but I still wake up every morning feeling my age . . . which -- "Dammit!" -- is now one year older.

In case you're wondering, I'm 138, come from Betelgeuse, and wear a cap to protect my head from cold, heat, and ridicule.

Wish me a happy birthday . . .

12 Comments:

At 8:05 AM, Blogger Kevin Kim said...

Happy Geburtstag, Herr Doktor!


Kevin

 
At 12:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, and good luck with teh continued recovery!

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks to my three readers for their birthday greetings and well wishes.

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I've tried to find out how to add a sitemeter (or whatever), but I can't find such a function on Blogger. Maybe I'm just thick, though.

 
At 6:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, at least you're not old as dirt - yet. Happy Birthday my friend. Give my regards to the much younger looking spouse.

Greg

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Plunge, I don't see any place to sign up for the free site meter. Other than that, your instructions sound very clear.

Greg, thanks for the birthday greetings. I've given the spouse your regards. And I still need to read that attachment that you sent. I will . . . sometime.

 
At 4:39 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Plunge, I did what you suggested, and here is what I reached:

"Site Meter was successfully added to your Blogger template.

You must re-login to your Blogger account and republish your blogger pages before the Site Meter counter will showup on them. (To republish your blog, login to your account on Blogger, click on the posting tab, click on the status tab and then click the Republish Entire Blog button.)"

I logged in to my account on Blogger and clicked the posting tab.

I do not see a status tab. Some of what I see is in Hangul, but when I clicked on those, I found nothing called "Republish Entire Blog."

What do I do now?

 
At 12:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy (belated) Birthday, Jeff.

How's big city life treating you and do you miss us country bumpkins yet?

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Plunge, the site meter now seems to be working . . . I think. But it appears down at the bottom of my blog. Doesn't it usually appear near the top? Or on the "Complete Profile" page?

Nomad, thanks for the belated birthday greetings. Yes, we do miss some things. My daughter especially misses Marty's Sunday School class. For my recent experiences in the Big City, see the post for May 16 . . .

 
At 6:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If it's not too late,,,
Happy Birthday Professor Hodges.
Just Found out that your birthday was Saturday!

Wish you could get well soon as well :)

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, Anonymous -- you must be a student of mine since you call me "Professor."

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Plunge, the site meter shows up on my computer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home