Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Foxy as in clever!

I can't say that I had time, but I made time and read the short story "Coterie," by Elkie Riches, in Carter Kaplan's anthology, Octo-Emanations (pp. 1-17), and I found it to be excellent. Riches is one of those rare people who can combine knowledge of science with knowledge of the arts and the humanities.

Riches earlier wrote the novel Reclamation, which I found interesting, and this short story shows a more polished, mature style. The two stories share a common theme of environmentalism.

Highly recommended.

2 Comments:

At 2:07 AM, Blogger Carter Kaplan said...

"Riches earlier wrote the novel Reclamation, which I found interesting, and this short story shows a more polished, mature style."

I hope you don't mean to suggest that Reclamation is not polished or immature! That novel is a gem, in my opinion. Sophisticated, well-written, and it is very finely polished indeed!

But, yes, "Coterie" is of a different order, and it is therefore a "gem" in other ways...

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I didn't intend any criticism of Reclamation. Perhaps I could say, "a more subtly polished, mature style"?

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home