Sunday, July 03, 2016

Yesterday . . .

Professor Martin Kuester
Marburg

No, not Paul McCartney, but John . . . John Milton, I mean.

Milton was the topic of my blog entry yesterday because he was the subject of a June 21st column by Simon Heffer in the British newspaper The Telegraph - a column that I only yesterday became aware of. Unlike most of what I post here on this blog, my link to Heffer's remarks proved useful, for a German scholar on Milton, Martin Kuester, commented:
Thanks, Jeffery! I'll send both links[, i.e., the newspaper column and the blog entry,] to the students in my "Milton as Writer and Literary Figure" class.
I replied that I was glad to be of service, and to bolster that support, I hereby link to another site with Terrance's Milton illustrations: the WAH Center. For a few other illustrations from Lindall's Milton-inspired art, a preview is possible here!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 9:50 AM, Blogger Carter Kaplan said...

It's a good piece. And just as Milton was a great poet, he was also a great political philosopher. In estimating his service to the human race, his political achievements may be greater. I am of the opinion that he is *the* philosopher of modernism--Locke gets the credit, and rightly so, but Milton, so to speak, was the guy to dream it up (indeed, with a little help from Tasso). There would be no Locke, no Jefferson, no America... without Milton.

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Bold words and bold deeds . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home