Sunday, March 13, 2016

One-Liner Poems Defined

POEM Type
Google Images

In my comment to Carter Kaplan's comment on one-line poems as bon mots, I attempted to define my concept of a one-liner poem:
I try for a single iambic pentameter line with self-referential properties that effectively double the line and a title that interacts with the line, all of these working together to produce a brief, but interesting reading.
I might word that slightly differently now:
I try for a single iambic pentameter line with self-referential properties, which effectively double the line, and a title that interacts with the 'doubled' line, all of these working together to produce a brief, but interesting reading.
I thought at first that I might have engendered a new genre, but a quick check via Google for "one-line poems" and "one-line poetry" gives over 8,000 for the former and over 14,000 for the latter.

I'm thus not the first to go where no man has gone before, but I'm perhaps one of the first to attempt a definition.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 5:38 AM, Blogger Carter Kaplan said...

Trigger warning, this is not a poem:

Have you found any articles on one-line poems?

(Trigger warning: the above trigger warning could be a lie.)

 
At 6:26 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

No, I've found none, primarily because I've not looked for any.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home