Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Ulleungdo: land of misty mountain tops...

As Seen From Near Our Hotel
Tonggumi Fishing Place, Geobuk (Turtle) Rock
(Borrowed From air.or.kr)

... in the brief time that we've been on the island.

We're staying in a hotel near big Turtle Rock -- which shoots up into the sky about 80 meters, I reckon -- and in the shelter of an even larger rock that forms part of a mountain that was rising precipitously into the low clouds hiding the island's summits on the wet day that we arrived. I haven't yet looked to see if mists blanket the mountains today, but I'm betting not because the sun is shining down much more forcefully this morning.

Yesterday after dinner, we hiked up the road that climbs the mountain beside our hotel, expecting to reach the misty part soon, but the further that we climbed, the farther the mist seemed to recede ... except that it wasn't actually budging an inch. My daughter, Sa-Rah, wanted to go on, but I told her that darkness would be falling soon and that we ought to go back.

I felt a bit like Bilbo Baggins trying to get over the Misty Mountains ... but failing.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so pleased that you have found an internet cafe, and that Sun Ae has indulged your weakness, Mr. Baggins!

The photographs are beautiful--will you be posting any of your own?

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Nathan, I don't know if we'll post any of our own. That would require my learning a new skill, and you know how I hate to learn anything new.

GI Korea, we did some hiking yesterday in coming down from the volcanic crater, but the rain has hit us today. We'll head for the Dokdo Museum to properly propagandize our children.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 4:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"That would require my learning a new skill, and you know how I hate to learn anything new"--says Mr. Renaissance Man himself!

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Nathan, me -- a Renaissance Man? Moi?! Not I. I can hardly do anything but blog.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home