Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Dagelet Island, South Korea

Map Showing Ulleung-do (Red-Circled)
(As Seen From Wikipedia)

Better known among Koreans as Ullung Island (Ullungdo) or Ulleung Island (Ulleungdo).

For a gods-eye view, go to Satellite Views and click your way via Asia and South Korea to Ullung-do (Dagelet Island). Unfortunately, one can't zoom in to see individual sites like beaches, mountaintops, and soju bars.

I'm showing this because in about a month, my family and I will be visiting this beautiful, volcanic island for three days. How did I get interested in taking a small vacation on Ulleung-do? I saw these vacation photos at Lao-Ocean-Girl's blog (h/t The Marmot's Hole) and decided that this must be the cleanest place in South Korea. Naturally, I have to see this for myself and report back.

But why am I telling you this now, when I haven't even gone there yet? Because my fabulous wife made the reservations only yesterday afternoon, and I'm still excited about it.

And also to prove that Gypsy Scholar does, indeed, have an offline life.

I just wonder if I'll be able to blog from there...

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 8:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks beautiful. Have fun and if you have to take a few days away from blogging, well there are support groups I'm told, though I did miss mine while on vacation recently. A little. Will we get to see pictures?

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, James. Photos? Hmmm ... that would force me to learn some new technology, and I'm still trying to master Medieval swordmaking.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger Kate Marie said...

Looks gorgeous. Will you all go hiking?

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Kate Marie, yes, we'll go hiking. Quite a lot, in fact.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 11:30 PM, Blogger Dr. Richard Scott Nokes said...

I have desperately wanted to go there for years, but no one would go with me, as there are no shopping centers or nightclubs on the island, and probably precious few coffee shops.

I did manage to get someone to go to Samchunpo with me, just so when I got back, when people asked me, "Where were you?" I could rely "I was in Samchunpo" [the equivalent of saying I was in Timbuktu].

 
At 5:40 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Great Scott! No coffee shops! What have I gotten myself into?!

At least there must be beer. Uh ... just Korean beer? Hmmm... Well, all right. Let's go.

By the way, Scott, are you coming to Korea this summer?

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

GI Korea, I had the impression that Ullungdo is something really special, and it's the first place that I've really, strongly desired to visit here in Korea. I went to Jejudo ten years ago and enjoyed it but didn't find it so exciting. Ullungdo looks almost wild. I think that I'll enjoy that.

Thanks for visiting.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home