Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Thank-You Note to Get-Together Colleagues

I wrote to my colleagues the following thank-you note for those who came and those who couldn't come to the farewell meeting on Zoom:

I'm finally writing back to thank you and all the rest of the gang for organizing the Zoom-Meeting. I've never before participated in one that worked.

I enjoyed the comradery (hard-to-spell word), too. But I think that some folks didn't show up because they weren't yet back from Elsewhere. Big place, that Elsewhere.

I also want to thank everyone for the small black bag. That's what people were calling it at the meeting: The Small Black Bag. Or The LittIe Black Bag? Is that like "The Little Black Dress"? Many of you expressed concern that the bag might be too small. I don't have a problem with size. Besides, I can always use a new wallet.

The even smaller Kindle is a real handful. I think I've been directed to thank Brian for that. Is that correct? Thanks, Brian.

And not one, not two, but three cards! With not one, not two, not three, not four, not five, not six, not seven, not eight, not nine, but ten messages!

I should retire more often!

I hope that the Covid virus leaves soon so that we can enjoy a real farewell get-together. With beer. But I can't have many beers, you know. Too much alcohol is bad for your health. From that, I infer that it's also not good for my health.

When I first received my official diagnosis, I asked my doctor, "How long do I have?"

"Oh, no," he said. "Parkinson's doesn't kill you. It just weakens you until something else kills you."

He didn't tell me what that "something else" is, so I've been avoiding everything.

I was fading, mentally, so I stopped then and there with the hope of other meetings to come.

4 Comments:

At 11:00 PM, Blogger Kevin Kim said...

You've taught hundreds, maybe thousands, of students and touched countless lives. As the adult students said in "Mr. Holland's Opus," "We are your symphony." The echoes of all you have done will roll ever forward in time. You have secured a lasting legacy for yourself, and your influence has doubtless changed history in untold ways. Congratulations on a well-deserved retirement celebration.

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, Kevin, for the kind words on how I must have positively influenced so many students, but I think more about the students I failed.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger Kevin Kim said...

I admit I'd probably think about that, too, were I in your situation; we naturally critical people can't stop ourselves from being critical. But there's hope in the idea that, even with the students you may have "failed," those kids have nonetheless gone on to have fulfilling lives, at least in some small part thanks to your influence. And even if you had no influence on them at all, yet there is hope.

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I hope so.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home