Thursday, June 13, 2019

Nationalism: Ethnic and Civic

My critic mentions Foucault and Foucault's views on "privileging and legitimizing power/knowledge discourses," and accuses me of being "willing to ignore the civic community as a 'munus,'" a term he borrows from Esposito, and he says all that to say this:
The author seems unwilling to tackle these complexities, and instead simply appropriates/promulgates the ethnic/civic paradigm (gleaned from an encyclopedia) without analysis.
Well, my critic seems not to realize that I didn't need that level of analysis for my paper in its original form, though I might need to do more now that my paper has grown, but what I find most disagreeable is my critic's assumption that I needed an encyclopedia to know the difference between ethnic and civic nationalism and that I simply gleaned the distinction from an encyclopedia.

I don't gotta glean nothin if I don't wanna, and I don't wanna cause I don't need to.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 6:14 PM, Blogger Kevin Kim said...

Seriously, this idiot needs to move on from Foucault. My understanding is that modern European scholarship has generally left the Frenchies behind. At least those Frenchies.

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Foucault has his uses still, I suppose, but I don't need him to help me distinguish between ethnic and civic nationalism.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home