Saturday, August 18, 2018

Report from Genoa: Morandi Bridge Collapse

Before the Collapse

Collapsed

An Italian friend of mine reports on the Morandi Bridge collapse in Genoa:
Yes, here we are ok, but what a dramatic situation. That bridge was essential to the life of Genoa, as well as the streets close to the bridge that now are closed to the traffic. I've been driving on that bridge, or under, every day for 13 years, and my husband more. Right now - can you imagine? - the traffic from the part of Genoa situated in the valley of Polcevera can use only one street as large as Channing Way in Berkeley! It's the result of incompetence, corruption and ... the usual Italian problem.
I'm glad to hear that my old friend and her family are unharmed.

Condolences to those who are not so fortunate.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 8:01 AM, Blogger Kevin Kim said...

I had to wonder whether "Morandi" meant "dying," as in, "(The) Dying Bridge." Alas, no: "dying" in the present progressive is "sta morendo," and as a brute adjective, it's "morente."

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Somehow, I thought of "moron" . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home