Saturday, April 14, 2018

Firing from the lip!


I wrote a blogpost back in 2010 suggesting that Eve was being depicted as serpent-like, and that post received this odd comment yesterday from a woman calling herself "Aquarian Ideals" (AI) who took issue with what she thought I'd said:
Yes clearly Eve is the "Hero" though not in Milton's Poem. I am not sure what you actually read to come up with that rather bold assertation. Milton went so far as to roofie Eve when the Arch Angel was bestowing all the wisdom of past and present on Adam because obviously that bitch couldn't be trusted. In fact, from the moment that they "fell" all culpability fell onto Eves shoulders despite being a mutual fault.
I didn't know what the commentator was referring to (serpent = "Hero"?) until I realized she was confusing me with an anonymous commentator who'd said that "everyone knows Eve is a hero." Anyway, AI appears to have a chip on her shoulder about history, for she tells me:
You are supposedly a history/politics buff, bully for you. Me too. I have taken the same plank of classes you have only I went one step further and got my English Degree as well because politics as of late seems to be a fools errand.
I very much doubt that this commentator has "taken the same plank of classes" that I've taken. But just to set the record straight on my specific degrees, I have a BA in British and American literature, an MA in history of science, and a PhD in history proper, but that's not good enough for a person who despite finishing her English degree cannot write a proper subjunctive sentence:
If you were such a History buff, perhaps you knew (sic "would know") that Milton had woman issues, not marrying until his mid to late 30's and when he did he married a teenager. He carried an over idealized idea of marriage so it lasted a whopping six months. Eventually they reconciled after years and years but my points the same, he was an interesting mess of weirdo who thought marriage was the perfect institution until reality slapped him in the face. This reality is rather spelled out into Paridise Lost. He vilifies Eve much like he vilified his wife for years. History is an interesting thing, it's all there for you to find, you don’t need to try to read into long winded over glorified text to get into the inferiority complexes of it all.
I have to say . . . I don't much cotton to haughty advice from someone maybe twenty years my junior, especially if that youngster can't distinguish between what I've written and what a commentator has written. If AI's 'advice' had been less arrogantly proffered, I might have responded here with more courtesy, but I won't let anyone talk down to me.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 3:50 PM, Blogger Kevin Kim said...

Great Scott!

My reaction here.

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Great guns, Kevin, you've certainly brought out the big artillery!

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 1:44 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, I can't believe it. The internet surely is populated by trolls. In this case we say something in Italian:
"Quando la persona é niente l'offesa é zero"
Which roughly translates as:
"When the person is nothing their offense equals zero."

By the way, I have bought your "Bottomless Bottle of Beer" on kindle tonight, not sure how much I'll be able to read during this midterm period though :( but I'm really looking forward to diving into it!

Francesca

 
At 6:15 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Zero? I think we're into negative numbers with this nonperson!

I hope you enjoy that bottomless bottle. Thanks for taking a sip.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home