Brainstorming about history, politics, literature, religion, and other topics from a 'gypsy' scholar on a wagon hitched to a star.
Tuesday, November 08, 2016
- Name: Horace Jeffery Hodges
- Location: Seoul, South Korea
I am a professor at Ewha Womans University, where I teach composition, research writing, and cultural issues, including the occasional graduate seminar on Gnosticism and Johannine theology and the occasional undergraduate course on European history. My doctorate is in history (U.C. Berkeley), with emphasis on religion and science. My thesis is on John's gospel and Gnosticism. I also work as one-half of a translating team with my wife, and our most significant translation is Yi Kwang-su's novel The Soil, which was funded by the Literature Translation Institute of Korea. I'm also an award-winning writer, and I recommend my novella, The Bottomless Bottle of Beer, to anyone interested. I'm originally from the Arkansas Ozarks, but my academic career -- funded through doctoral and postdoctoral fellowships (e.g., Fulbright, Naumann, Lady Davis) -- has taken me through Texas, California, Switzerland, Germany, Australia, and Israel and has landed me in Seoul, South Korea. I've also traveled to Mexico, visited much of Europe, including Moscow, and touched down briefly in a few East Asian countries. Hence: "Gypsy Scholar."
- Benjamin Hale's Great American Novel
- Arna Bontemps Hemenway's Great Elegy on Kinderklav...
- My Own Little Magnum Opus: The Bottomless Bottle o...
- Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell's Great Work
- The Master and Margarita: Mikhail Bulgakov's Magnu...
- The Brothers Karamazov
- Moby Dick
- Possible lives in an interlocking series of storie...
- The Shadow Knows . . . all the plot spoilers to Dr...
- On a Break from the Hills