Monday, March 14, 2016

Poetry Break: Nought but Some Doggerel Defining "Smart"

Mr. Mike Roman's Shoe
Blogger Profile

A few days ago, in response to AlphaGo's second victory over Mr. Lee Sedol (currently, three victories), I posted a blog entry titled "Singularity Approacheth: 'Go going gone!'" Under this heading, somewhat facetiously, I wrote:
Computers are getting smarter than humans. Moreover, they are learning to defeat us in our own games! They are competing with us and outperforming us.

Ah, the humanity . . . er, robotity . . . uh, androidity . . . um, cyborgity . . .
In response, Mr. Mike Roman, a man of few words, dropped by and typed:
Define "smart"
I therefore did by way of posting this bit of pregnant-with-meaning doggerel:
Smart Defined
At times, it means some pain;
Some say it should mean gain;
It can mean quite well dressed,
But I am not impressed.

It's fear within my head
That brings me to this dread
AI can really do
What people can do, too!

Except more fast than us,
And that's smart double plus!
Nothing beautiful - though I've smartened it up a bit since first posting it as a comment - but I believe I've defined "smart" to everyone's satisfaction, and even worked in an allusion to Orwell's famous dystopian novel, 1984.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 7:11 AM, Blogger Kevin Kim said...

Dogger...al? That is most unlike you, sir.

 
At 7:12 AM, Blogger Kevin Kim said...

Or was there some hidden joke that I missed?

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Oh, dogger all! I misspelled it! Well, what can one expect from a man who writes such doggeral!

Jeffery Hodges

@ @ @

 

Post a Comment

<< Home