Monday, November 02, 2015

David Mitchell in Slade House, Sowing a bit of Confusion . . .


In David Mitchell's recent novel, Slade House, which may pun on 'slayed' because Mitchell loves a pun, we find yet another pun, albeit only a visual one, dependent on knowing that Sal - who is being rescued by Todd from 'soul carnivores' - was formerly wearing a pig mask:
"Remember: vow of silence, eyes down, don't let go of my hand. I'll cloak us as best I can. Put that mask back on, too. It may sow a little extra confusion."
There's the pun, but only an optical one, and it might not work since the sounds are different, but here I am going on record just in case there's a reward for being the first to catch it . . .

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 12:03 PM, Blogger Mike Hubbeling said...

Sow and sow. I guess.

David Mitchell is wonderful. I've yet to read Slade House, although I loved The Bones Clocks, from which it springs. (And everything else he's written.)

And yes, if you read your comments, you did know me in another place and time. Hope life treats you well brother....

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Good to hear from you. What are you doing these days?

Jeffery Hodges

@ @ @

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger Mike Hubbeling said...

I have been a professional potter for most of my working life. I did spend a few quietly desperate years in corporate life, but left that as soon as I could figure a way out. In recent years I spend less time on plates and more on working on various things on a ranch Teri's family has had for several generations. She manages it and I get to do a great deal of chain sawing, hay baling and such. So my life is an odd mix of delicate ceramic decoration, reading and hard manual labor. It would not appeal to everybody, but it suits me well.

We have lived in Austin for 30 years. Two daughters, one a med student in Boston, the other just graduated and working in San Francisco.

Send me a note some time at mikehubbeling@gmail.com.

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Sounds as though you have been productive in making the world a more beautiful place.

From my blog, you can see what I have been up to. I am most partial to my novella, but life has been an adventure and generally satisfactory anyway.

Jeffery Hodges

@ @ @

 

Post a Comment

<< Home