Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Fiction: I sign away my soul!

My Artless Contract with the Devil?
Art by Terrance Lindall

I'm considering 'changing' my name to Aitch Jae Hodges because Terrance has made an artful sight gag at my expense in the above illustration by having the nameless hero of The Bottomless Bottle of Beer sign away his soul with my name! You can see this actually occurring on the video at nearly 3 minutes (but don't watch the entire video or read the accompanying text if you want to avoid plot spoilers).

If I were to 'alter' my name to Aitch Jae Hodges, I wouldn't even need to get a legal change to make the signature official, for "Aitch Jae" is how one spells "H. J."

But why 'change' it at all? Because I'd like to avoid even a symbolic gesture of signing my soul over to the Adversary! Maybe some fellow named Horace Jeffery signed away his soul, but Aitch Jae? Never!

So, how does "Aitch Jae Hodges" sound? What do readers think?

But don't nobody go hog wild and suggest that I spell my surname "Aitch-oh-dee-gee-e-ess" because there's no end to that procedure since "Aitch" itself would be spelled "A-i-tee-cee-aitch," which could itself be spelled out, and my name would grow boundlessly long!

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At 4:49 AM, Blogger ilTassista Marino said...

Terrance has made an artful sight gag at my expense . . . by having the nameless hero of The Bottomless Bottle of Beer sign away his soul with my name!

Hmm, let's say, more simply, that he unmasked your awkward attempt to remain hidden.

As to your second - and presumably useless - attempt to pass unnoticed, what about H2J, like H2O?

 
At 6:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"So, how does "Aitch Jae Hodges" sound? What do readers think?"

First question first - while that rolls smoothly off the mental tongue as one reads aloud to oneself Aitch Jae sounds like it might could lead somebody somewhere to thinking a link where puttin' a charge for a DNA test could be up for grabs.

That'd be the best case. Worse - somebody might think there's a ghostwriter som'ers.

Second question second.

This reader (and I'd mention "faithful [& does favors of a certain sort] reader") thinks the idea sounds like crap.

How's 'bout something intialled with maybe QED or somesuch?

Maybe change your name to Ergo?

Professor Ergo Hodges rolls pretty nice you'd agree?

JK

 
At 6:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I s'pose I should add "something of a 'splainer."

Yesterday I went to a dentist who a few decades ago was a guitar player. Much to my surprise he was familiar with certain sorts of stuff and while he had a drill in close proximity to something tender to me, mentioned a few Gypsy Scholar comment threads.

Fortunately, the root canal is on his dime.

There've been some few other things but neither of us will ever get too close to such stuff again, don't you think?

JK

 
At 6:56 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Better living through chemistry, Dario!

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 7:01 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

"Ergo" is a fine name, JK. It seems to have a point to it, so whenever somebody tells me, for example, "Ergo, visit the dentist," it'll sound like the logical thing to do.

Better stay away from dentists who read Gypsy Scholar, though, especially if they read these comments!

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger Carter Kaplan said...

"So, how does "Aitch Jae Hodges" sound? What do readers think?"

To me sounds like the name of a reggae star from Jamaica!

"Ja, mon! Sallah! Sallah!"

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Well, I don't want to end up like that guy, speaking in tongues of Jibreels!

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home