Friday, November 25, 2011

Terrance Lindall - Paradise Lost Drawings from 1979

Yesterday, Terrance Lindall sent me several images of Paradise Lost drawings dating from 1979. I hadn't realized that his artistic interest in John Milton's epic poem went back so many years, but already in the latter seventies, he was working on images representing scenes from the poem -- the same time as his work for Heavy Metal magazine, which suggests that art critics and future art historians as well as Milton scholars should study Terrance's Milton illustrations in the context of his 'secular' art, or vice-versa. But today, let's just look at some of his Milton works, and perhaps watch a few videos.

The first image sent -- whose original is in the Wickenheiser Collection and which is discussed by Terrance in this video -- is Eve and Apple and Snake:


The second image sent -- whose original is in the Yuko Nii Foundation Collection (and which might appear on the video linked above) -- is Eve 2:


The third image sent -- whose original is somewhere -- is Satan on Foal 2:


The fourth and final image sent --whose original is someplace or other -- is Raphael Full:


I'm not actually sure that "Full" is part of the title, but such would make some sense if Raphael had just eaten with Adam and Eve . . . I guess. But I've probably misunderstood. More images from 1979 are to be seen in this mostly 'Satanic' video. Indeed, Terrance goes on to talk in this video for about eight minutes about his rough sketches from 1979 that later became some of the paintings we've looked at on this blog. Certainly worth listening to . . .

Anyway, I feel privileged to post these on today's blog entry. Never back in the seventies when I first encountered some of Terrance's secular artwork did I ever imagine that we would one day become acquainted.

Ah, the miracles wrought by the internet . . .

Labels: , ,

14 Comments:

At 4:52 AM, Blogger ilTassista Marino said...

Ah, the miracles wrought by the internet . . .

I subscribe.

 
At 4:56 AM, Blogger ilTassista Marino said...

"Astride" the visionary foal! Great pun, Terrance!

 
At 7:10 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I hadn't noticed that pun before, Dario, but I assume you're right.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Carter Kaplan said...

Jeffery, I would like to ask Mr. Lindall to produce a few illustrations for Emanations. Do you think he might be interested?

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Carter, I don't know. I do know that he's quite busy with at least two important art projects (not to mention his curetorial and other duties).

But I can send him an email with a link to your comment. Let's see if he has an interest.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger ilTassista Marino said...

Terrance in the Emanations Team! And I think to myself: What a wonderful world.

 
At 8:05 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

If . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 12:27 AM, Blogger Terrance Lindall said...

Dear Carter, Looks like we are all team members! What kind of drawings? Regards, Terrance

 
At 2:14 AM, Blogger ilTassista Marino said...

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!

 
At 6:32 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I've let Carter know.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger Carter Kaplan said...

Hi Terrance,

Very exciting! I would like to send you some poetry and a story or two. You read through the material (if you wish, you can contact the author or me to discuss ideas and concepts, but this is not necessary) then come up with something. Send me a scan. The media could be pen and ink, crayon, pencil, marker, and so on: the ilustrations will be black and white in the book. The book size is 6" X 9" and the illustrations should fit this proportion. Contributors receive a copy at this time.

In the first volume, we had one illustration per story in the fiction section, and a handful of illustrations in the poetry and essay sections. We had four artists helping out (one being Dario).

Many thanks for expressing interest!

Carter

 
At 12:13 AM, Blogger Terrance Lindall said...

Looking forward. Terrance

 
At 11:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,
I absolutely love your blog!
My name is Lauren, I am a student at Kennesaw State University and am currently writing a paper on "John Milton and Reader Response in the Visual Arts."
The picture documents of Terrance Lindall's artwork on this site are responsible for this idea. With this being said, I was wondering if it would be possible to use these files for my paper, as they are really hard to find, much less get permission to use them in an academic paper.

Please contact me as soon as possible with your response, as I am working on a close deadline.

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Permission is not mine to give. You will need to ask Mr. Lindall. He is a curator here, which also has other images of his.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home