Thursday, May 05, 2011

David Lynn Jones 'Sighting'

One of my friends from high school was Ron Irby. His roots were from my part of the Ozarks, but he grew up for some of his youth in Indiana before his family returned to the Ozarks. He and I used to ride around in his car on Fulton County's unpaved back roads, discussing Bob Dylan's songs and what that singer's obscure lyrics meant. I don't recall if we ever figured them out, but even if the philosophical implications had been resolved, little would have been achieved, as Wittgenstein might say.

Anyway -- to make a long story short -- Ron's older brother Richard has finally also moved into the Ozarks, sometime in the past few years, and writes for the local Area Wide News and possibly other media. Yesterday, he sent me notice of a performance by David Lynn Jones, among other musicians. I was glad to hear this, for Jones had been in poor physical health for a while and depressed over problems caused by a criminal who'd somehow stolen Jone's identity -- and was thus not making much music. But all that seems to be behind him now, for Richard writes:
I'm enclosing a story and some photos regarding a major David Lynn Jones "sighting". He seemed in good physical and mental state and ready to rock. The good news is, Ron Helm and Jerry Bone are working with Lynn on a comeback album.
Bone had mentioned this to me some time back, and I believe that I passed it along as a rumor since I wasn't sure that I should announce it as fact, but Richard says to go ahead now. Here, also, are the three photos, the first showing Jones in center stage, with a lanky Jerry Bone in the background:


I don't recognize the big man in the baseball cap. The next photo again put Jones center stage, with Bone in the background again, the top of his head just visible:


Here's the third photograph, with Jones again center stage, but all the other musicians are equally visible:


I recognize Bone, of course, but not the others. Perhaps some knowledgeable Fulton County local could take the trouble to name them all?

Anyway, Jones was taking part in a memorial service for Gene Cooper, a local musician from Oxford, Arkansas, a small town some 13 miles south of my hometown, Salem. Richard sent a column -- "Fans, Friends and Musicians Remember Gene Cooper" -- that he'd written for some local publication, perhaps the aforementioned Area Wide News, but he didn't directly say. Here's what Richard related about Jones:
[Also present was] David Lynn Jones, a Fulton County native who hit the big time in the 80's as a songwriter and performer. An energized Jones showed he was ready for a comeback, after years out of the spotlight.

"This isn't about us," said Jones from the stage. "This is about Gene Cooper. I love this man as much as one can love another."

Jones recounted how Cooper hired him as his guitarist at age 18.

"He is the reason I got into this business," said Jones. "He gave me a job and I made some money. Sometimes. No matter how little I made, Gene probably took less because he always had a big heart."
I remember Gene Cooper. He used to play music over at Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas, another small town nearby, about 14 miles to the east of Salem, my hometown. I didn't know the man personally, nor did he know me -- we were of different generations -- but I might as well also say good bye:
"Good bye, Gene."
And, thanks again to Gene, though now in his passing, we once more have Jones . . .

Labels: , , , ,

16 Comments:

At 5:47 PM, Anonymous Larry Saidman said...

Great news, Jeffery. Thanks so much for posting that. Very much looking forward to his new album, plus some youtube videos. -Larry Saidman

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I'd been expecting it, and I knew that you'd rejoice. Like you, I'm looking forward to the music . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 9:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know David and Jerry, and knew Gene Cooper while growing up in Horseshoe Bend. Jerry's sister, Sue, worked at HB and was a great friend to my mom and our family. Good to see David back in the swing of things. At the time, late 60s early 70s, I thought Jerry Bone was the greatest guitar player I would ever see. I worked many shows at the old Music Mountain Theater and got to meet/know many of the local musicians as well as many old country music "stars" Gene Williams would bring in for shows.

Sorry to hear Gene Cooper has passed. I will let mom know as well. -- Jay

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, Jay, for the additional details.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 6:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chuck Long had the cap on in the band. Eddie Howard on drums and Tim Crouch on fiddle. Bone, Howard, and Crouch were in David Lynn's band back in the day It was a great performance!

 
At 7:14 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks for the details on some of the musicians. I'm sure the performance was great, and I'm looking forward to the David Lynn Jones comeback album.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 3:10 AM, Anonymous Larry Saidman said...

Any more "sightings"? Or has he totally disappeared again?

-Larry

 
At 6:48 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I don't know. I've been meaning to inquire.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 4:06 PM, Anonymous Larry Saidman said...

I just found two new postings of David Lynn Jones on youtube. both from Jan 11, 2012, a "Benefit in Highland Ark". One song is "Amazing Grace" with other performers also singing. The other is a song I've never head before..title is probably "every Once In Awhile". Here's the link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZFwZ9k1Dk4

-Larry Saidman

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, Larry. Let me make that link live.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger ForTabi2002 said...

David Lynn Jones and Friends at Evening Shade, Arkansas. Saturday Night Sept.7,2013 at 6 to 9 pm! Parade starts at 1:00 pm. Music from 2 to 9!!

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger ForTabi2002 said...

Evening Shade Fall Round-up Saturday: David Lynn Jones and Friends ( Illa Jones, Dennis Horton, ChuckandDonna Young, Eddie Cooper and Garrett Duncan) will be performing from 6 to 9 pm! There is a parade at 1:00, and the Country Jam Band will perform from 2 to 5 pm! Lots of food and booths! Don't miss it- Downtown Evening Shade.

https://www.facebook.com/garrett.duncan.376

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger ForTabi2002 said...

David Lynn Jones and Friends at the Fulton County Fair in Salem, Arkansas. August 16th, 2013. This song was released as a duo with Waylon Jennings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyEiPyM6py8&feature=share

This was in my Southern Hometown Fair this Year!

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger ForTabi2002 said...

New Song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOVofjc40Ho

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger ForTabi2002 said...

The Guy playing Guitar next to David is Dennis Horton, he is an Accomplished Musician with His Own Store in Hardy, Arkansas. https://www.facebook.com/HortonsMusic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91fG_0pm2js

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Thanks, Mr. Mark Skilledhands, but let me try to link those for you:

First

Second

Third

Fourth

Fifth

Thanks again!

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home