Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Vacation in Daegu . . . and Beyond!

Daegu City
(Image from Wikipedia)

We left Seoul yesterday afternoon for Daegu, my wife's childhood home in the southern part of the Korean peninsula, to celebrate the onset of the Lunar New Year, and we shan't return till Sunday the 6th of February, after a couple of days in Busan, too. I might be unable to blog some days, and I'll also not have much access to the news at a time when North Africa and the Middle East are boiling over.

To make up for that information vacuum, I'll ensconce myself in the latter 16th and early 17th centuries, reading John Heilbron's biography of Galileo. I've already begun the book and am enjoying it immensely and will eventually be reporting upon it on this blog . . . as soon as I have something worth saying (undoubtedly after I've finished the book and had time to digest it).

I won't have much to say about Milton until I return to Seoul, where I can access my personal library -- and just when the posts were getting interesting, too. I have an ulterior motive for these Milton posts, the need to prepare a paper on "eating Death" in time for this summer's International Milton Symposium in Tokyo at Aoyama Gakuin University:
Milton's 'Awkward' Grecism: "Know" with Nominative Participle
My paper will also be awkward, but such are our graceless efforts in this fallen world. I'll have to apologize for the false advertising since my paper will be rather broader than implied by the title.

I'll also be blogging in the next few weeks on the European Union and European integration, or lack thereof, for I'll be teaching a course on the subject this coming semester in the Division of International Studies at Ewha Womans University, in addition to the usual writing and cultural courses for the English Program Office.

Meanwhile, life goes on . . .

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 2:56 PM, Anonymous Sperwer said...

Hey, I'm in Daegu too, deeply ensconced in the 16th century as well - reading Garrett Mattingly's masterpiece of historical research and exposition on The Spanish Armada. Interstingly, I also recently found out that the first documented appearance of my paternal progenitors was in 1550 in England. Pretty good, but still a relative parvenu compared to Young's with their 10th century genealogy.

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

The year 1550, eh? Your existence is now more secure. Not quite so secure as Young's, however, whose family must have been Goryeo nobility!

I'm less sure of my own existence . . .

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 
At 5:56 PM, Anonymous Sperwer said...

They were; her most illustrious ancestor was Chong
Mong-ju, the last chief minister to the last Koryo king.

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Chong Mong-ju must be the same as this fellow, Jeong Mong-ju.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

 

Post a Comment

<< Home